My 18 mo. old's favorite food right now is bread. What are some good recipes?

I already have banana bread and pumpkin bread recipes. Are there any others that are tasty and nutritious?

isamari

Asked by isamari at 5:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Zucchini? You can pretty much put any mushy veggies in bread.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• whole grain pancakes with blueberries?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• ZUCCHINI BREAD makes 1 9 x 5 inch loaf
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup evaporated cane juice (Sucanat or Rapadura)
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups grated zucchini
    3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    3 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add oil, evaporated cane juice, zucchini, and vanilla, and stir well. In a separate bowl, blend together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, and salt, then pour in the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Stir in raisins and nuts. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
    Bake for 1 hour. Cool, slice, and serve. NOTE: This bread is delicious hot out of the oven with butter. It won't hold together in a slice, but crumbles into bite-sized chunks. It slices fine when cool

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• thanks all for the good suggestions
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 6:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My little boy is like that too. You can make different kinds of bread, and then there is bread pudding, eggs-in-toast (at least thats what mom calls it--where you cut a hole in the bread, butter it, crack an egg in it-presto! egg in toast). Thry different types of muffins and biscuits.
    -wendy
    mamasangel11

Answer by mamasangel11 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• waffles. french toast with peanut butter smeared on it. raisin bread. apple bread. but be careful, some homemade breads can get fattening, but oh so tastey!!!!!!!!!!!!! fruit pancakes. muffins.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• oh yeah, toasted cheese too
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Banana bread and pumpkin bread are nearly cake, nutritionally-speaking, unless you've really cut down the sugar (or used very low-sugar, low-fat recipes), so no kidding a 2yo loves them.

I make quick breads (and muffins) with whole wheat flour. It's been 10 years since I bought white flour. For 'delicate' items, I sift some of the bran out, but otherwise just use it 1:1 instead of all-purpose flour. The products are denser, which is fine-- they're more filling and more nutritious. A solution with no drawbacks.

I always cut out 1/2 of the sugar (even if it's natural, unrefined or organic --added sugar is added sugar) to see what happens. Sometimes --very rarely-- I feel the need to add extra sugar, but find that sprinkling a bit on the top uses a lot less for much more apparent sweetness than adding it back into the recipe. I love decorator sugar--large crystal. Even just 7 grains of it on a muffin make it 'sweet'.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009