Is Autism preventable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Some doctors believe that some autistic children started out with a mitochondrial disorder (which isn't seen) and a high fever (often a symptom after vaccination) (like Hannah Polling) triggers the disorder causing Autism. It's just one of many "theories".

What I'm wondering is why don't children get tested for this mitochondrial disorder before receiving their first vaccination. Maybe it could help prevent some children from getting Autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If it were, dont you think parents with autistic kids would have done it.

No one really knows what causes it. People speculate, have ideas, but most people believe its genetic, meaning you are born with it in your genes.

I am not so sure.

So many meds have been released over the years only to be recalled after a while b/c of complications that were unknown at the time.

Why couldnt the same be true of SOME vaccinations and SOME children.

No one really knows.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If we knew the cause, we'd be able to prevent it. But we DON'T know the cause, so at this moment, not preventable.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not yet

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• What is your theory on it? , you must have one otherwise you wouldn't ask unless you were planning on conceiving or were pregnant and terrified of it which is understandable. Which one is it?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am always curious how the switch happens. Is it fast like over nite or slow/gradual? Can't it be nipped in the bud in the process? It breaks my heart so many mothers who got to hear their babies say "mama" and "cookie" and smile up at them only to later on have them go silent. I could NOT deal
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• hibbingmom, it can be helped a bit with serious therapy, but what is going to happen will happen eventually....early intervention is about all there is.

My dd never regressed like that, she was just always like this.....

She is has very mild pdd nos and will be fine in the long run....;) I pray!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I can't speak to severe autism cases. I know that my son's Asperger's symptoms were really always there, we just didn't understand them. He never reacted to anything like a typical child would.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No. Europe proved it is genetic.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Purpleducky- the study in Europe showed a possible genetic link, not a direct genetic cause. They still haven't figured out what triggers the gene to go "wacky". They are thinking virus but as yet no definitive cause.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009