What is that smell?? And how do I get rid of it?

We live in a trailer out in the country, and we have central AC. Every once in awhile the air that comes through the vents smells like raw sewer! It is so gross! At first I thought an animal had died under the trailer, but my landlord looked and said there's no way anything could have gotten in.

Well it was happening about 2 or 3 times a week, but now it seems like every time the AC kicks on, our house starts to smell like shit. I thought I was going nuts, and would check my DD's diaper every 5 minutes. It really STINKS and I can't stand it!!

Our landlord is like 80 yrs old, and I can barely even get him out here to fix the shower, much less check for a "smell". Is there anything I can do to help this? Do you think I could put potpourri in the air vents or something??

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 5:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sounds like you may have a fouled coil. That is what happened to our central AC 2 summers ago. It was nasty. The other thing is make sure nothing(like a possum) has breached your duct work and died. We used some stuff called RU47 to fefoul the coil. Worked like a charm.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Baking soda?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If it is just happening when the AC is on, you should have your air vents/returns and ducts cleaned and sanitized.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 5:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Ok thanks, GrnEyedGrandma. Is that something I can get at Walmart or Lowes?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We got it from an AC repair company. My husband just informed me I was telling you the wrong name...sorry. It is Fosters 40-80. I have no idea if you can buy it at retail stores but if you can Lowes or Home Depot would be the place to call and ask.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Ok thanks!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009