40wks today... docs will induce next week.. how?

I am 40 weeks today, 4 cm dilated, 50% effaced, stage 0...

My doc said that if my baby girl isn't here by next week, she is going to induce me at 41 weeks.

1)What are the different ways docs induce?
2) Is there any cons about being induced?
3) From personal experience... was labor quicker or longer because of being induced or does induction not mater?

Thanks!

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 5:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well when I was induced they gave me pitocin. They gave it to me thru an iv and they had it start slowly. I didn't think there was really anything bad about being induced. I needed the baby out I was so big. From my personal experiance my labor went a little bit quicker then my first one(wasn't induced first time) I was only in labor for about 5 hours when induced. so I think it goes a little quicker but the contractions hurt more. I wish you luck and congratulations on your baby girl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was induced at 8 days past my due date. I was given cervidil ( a tiny insert used to help ripen and dilate the cervix ) because I was not even one cm.  It hurt a little but I don't think it does for most women.  It only worked a little.  I started having some contractions that night but they did not hurt.  They took the cervidil out the next morning, 12 hours later and I was 2 cm.  Then I was given pitocin through my saline drip ( like an IV without the metal stand, inserted through the back of your hand ) to bring on contractions.  It did!  They did hurt.  But it was NOT as bad as TV and movies made it look.  I just closed my eyes and breathed. 

sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I had an epidural later than was such a blessing! I barely even felt the needle because I was closing my eyes and concentrating solely on breathing. After the epi, everything was completely and totally pain-free. Never even felt pressure from the crowning.
    Childbirth is what you make of it. Truly. Be educated and motivated and you will be fine. Good luck, and congrats on your baby!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• im pretty sure the only way to induce is to hook you up to a iv drip of pitocin and that stuff HURTS makes you contract hard and fast so if you werent planning on a epi your probably going to need one the only con really is the pitocin and induction doesnt always matter you could still be in labor for 15hrs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i was induced with my first baby. they put an internal inducer in over night at first and nothing had changed so in the morning they gave me pitocin through an iv. the contractions come on hard and fast after that and it was in my opinion to much to handle and i was in labor for eight hours so i dont know if its actually faster. every experience is different though it might be different for you. my second delivery i went into labor by myself and you start out with little contractions and are able to prepare yourself for the really bad ones. and i was only in labor for 5 hours.
    amanda1122

Answer by amanda1122 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was induced with my DD, probably will be this this one too. I thought my labor was great, no pain at all and it only lasted 9 hours. I went in the night before and got the cervidel put in and that got me from a 1 to a 2 and then they started my pitocin at around 7:00-7:30 and my DD was born (after only 7 mins of pushing) at 3:03. If it is needed I will do it again with our son, I had a great experience with it, but it all really depends on the mom and baby.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• There is a journal on the popular list right now about inductions and the reasons for them that is very informative. You should check it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• 1)What are the different ways docs induce?
    Depending on how effaced you are next week, your doc will either choose to bring you in the night before your induction and insert cervadyl into your cervix two times, 6 hours apart. and then start the actual induction in the morning. Or he will have you come in in the morning and just do the induction (if you are pretty thinned out to begin with) the 3 ways to do the induction is to
    1) break your water & start pitocin
    2) just break your water (thats how both of mine were done)
    3) start pitocin and break your water when you are in a regular contraction pattern. Pitocin is given through the IV and it is turned up every 15 minutes until your contractions are strong & regular and then is turned down. If they stop, then they will turn it back up again until they find a good place to keep your contractions going like they should
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• continued...

Once you start contracting and are in labor, especially after your water is broken, you have to either vaginally deliver the baby or you will need a c-section. The c-section rate is higher amongst inductions then it is with woman who go into labor on their own. Their is a greater chance of fetal distress if your contractions start picking up too much, putting stress on the baby

3) From personal experience... was labor quicker or longer because of being induced or does induction not matter?
    Out of all the labors I have been to and heard of from friends and family members, the inductions tend to be much quicker once they take. I had an induction that didnt work and I was in there for 3 days without anything happening, but when I came back in 2 days later... my son was born 2 1/2 hours after the start of the induction!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I had my first two children with no interventions - no IV, epidural, nothing. My third I had to be induced for medical reasons. I had an IV with pitocin but no epidural. The labor was more difficult and very fast at the end.

Almost everyone has an epidural with induction. If you have an epidural you have to have large amounts of fluids to regulate your blood pressure. Usually you are catherized and that can lead to a urinary track infection. There is an increased risk of operative delivery. The extra fluids from the IV can make your breasts more engorged and make breastfeeding more difficult. Epidural babies can be sleepy and fussy and have problems nursing for weeks.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009