What's in your milk?

Journal posts have been going back and forth debating the quality of milk? Does it have pus in it? Are the hormones bad for us? Is it wrong to treat cows the way we do? Well, I wanna know what you guys think.

Darlinree

Asked by Darlinree at 5:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We go organic, so supposedly, there is just grass in my milk.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 7:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Ewww....not sure what's in there....but now I am grossed out! LOL
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't drink milk. I hate it it makes me vomit. My son drinks it sometimes. My husband uses it in cereal and I cook with it. thats the extent to our milk usage.
    I honestly couldn't tell you about whats in our milk cause its shipped form all over and the brand never stays the same cause of cost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Im lactose intolerant.. but I can have dairy in small portions.. I'd drink milk ALL day regardless of what's in it if it didnt put me on the toilet for hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• lol. well most can agree it tastes good...but is it worth drinking if it's got so much nastiness in it. And do we want the cows we drink from to be mistreated. The old saying is, "You are what you eat!"
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 6:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We milk our goats. Would never go back to store bought cow milk.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My father in law was a dairy farmer. He was put out of business by California dairy farms. Any who they never used hormones or abused their cows. They were very well taken care of.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• There is a website www.milksucks.com that has on it's web page got ....pus? That may be where someone got the info about pus. The website can really gross you out.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Eh, don't know don't care. We can't afford organic, and soymilk is kinda expensive too, plus my fiance doesn't like it. We really only use milk for coffee and cereal, sometimes I'll drink a glass of milk with my oatmeal for breakfast. I do think the hormones in milk caused me to hit puberty earlier than I should have, though. My mom didn't get her period until age 13, and I got mine at 9.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• And this is something I found from googling this topic:

"I grew up on dairy farms. If a cow is on any medication, it is milked into a separate container and the milk disposed of. Same with a cow that is infected or sick. If a sick/infected/medicated cow is milked into the common tank, the whole tank is disposed of and the tank sterilized. If it makes it into the truck, the truck-worth is disposed of and truck sterilized, etc right on up. (Sometimes it isn't discovered until after milking that a cow is sick.)

Edited to remove "at all" and to clarify that there are some medications that are fine for the cow and won't be excreted into the milk (just like in humans)."

So, I dunno. If it has pus, it's yummy pus.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009