Question for mom's who have been on bedrest or are on bedrest now...

I stumbled into the kitchen on my way back from going to the bathroom and I was disgusted... The dishes were piled high, the refrigerator and counters were gross... What would you do? Normally I go straight to the fridge without paying attention and grab something to drink and go back to my comfy spot on the couch. This time though... I couldnt ignore it and now the dishwasher is running and the fruit drawer is soaking on the counter... I also wiped down the counters and cleaned out the sink... Echh how did you get your hubby to clean while you were on bedrest? Im lost..... I usually fully clean once a week and spot clean every day but since im on bedrest nothing gets done. He promised to do it and its still not done!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hire help. If you can't hire professionals then find a college student on craigslist or a neighbor preteen or teenager. Craigslist also has barters. You or you husband may be able to do something in trade.

There is no scientific proof that bedrest will prevent miscarriage. Research it. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. So why do doctors tell women to do it? Because it has been the standard of care. Women do it because they would feel guilty if they didn't do it and then had a miscarriage.

So what to do. What I choose was to do normal things like cooking, cleaning, ect but no lifting or jumping. I would limit my activities and stress and make sure I stayed hydrated and relaxed.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Happened to me! You know what I did? I called his Mommy on him and casually mentioned how I wished I had help around the house that it was sooo hard for me being on bed rest and not being capable of taking care of the house. She came over and cleaned the whole house and I'm guessing my Dh got a good butt chewing from Mommy because he was a perfect cleaner the rest of the pregnancy and for months afterwards!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You have to decide what is more important to you. your baby's health or a spotless house. I don't know why you are on bedrest, I was on it because of skyrocketing blood pressure. I managed to spend a few minutes each day washing dishes and clothes, but the rest I let go until my sis-in-law would come help me and what didn't get done then waited until after my son was born. Men by nature aren't "cleaners". Some are and the lucky women that married those men should count their blessings.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I guess it would depend why you're on bedrest and how far along you are.
    newmomma2mybaby

Answer by newmomma2mybaby at 6:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well first you are going to need to stay calm with him dispite the fact that its going to be very hard. Just tell him that you cleaned the kitchen and you were wondering if he could at least do the dishes and wipe the counters daily, and that you would really appreciate him if he would do that for you. Atleast try making it seem like he's really doing you a huge favor and when he does it give him a kiss on the check and say thanks for cleaning the kitchen or atleast say thanks. Sometimes they just need to hear that you appreciate it. Try it and if it doesn't work then you are going to have to have a talk with him about it, but don't start it with we need to talk he'll automatically get defensive. Good-luck!!
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 6:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Anon~~ Oh how I wish I could call his mom, she would be up his ass in a heartbeat!!! She passed away 7 years ago so that's kind of hard to do.

kustomkrochet & newmomma2mybaby~~ I'm on bedrest for threatened miscarriage. It's not that the house being spotless is more important to me than my child at all. It's the fact that we live in apartments and I dont want to have roaches showing up.

ramita~~ thank you for the tips.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009