how do i start the potty training

do i just whip out the pull ups and say lets go. or is there a way to start this the right way. i am lost. i am doing this late in the game so any help u can give me will be great.

FoxMulder1993

Asked by FoxMulder1993 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First of all, is your child pulling at his/her diaper letting you know he/she is wet/dirty? If not, it isn't time for potty training. I bought my son a potty chair, sat him on it naked and we played catch with a balloon until he tinkled in the potty, then I made a HUGE deal out of it. He got the point, but his favorite part was getting to empty the little bowl into the big boy potty and flush. My daughter was easy also, I bought her some big girl panties with her favorite character on them and told her she couldn't get Pooh Bear wet. good luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I didn't look for any of signs mentioned I just started all three of them at age two. I used a potty chair for the first one and put it where she could see it and explained what it was for. She would sit with her clothes on then go off. Then we moved on to taking the bottoms off after she would drink or go off to do other business. She went off into a corner for her business which helped me know when she had to go. I faced no resistance.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 9:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My boys were also easy, but I didn't use a potty chair they didn't like. My dentist who had eight kids told me to put them on the big potty backwards and this worked. At the time they sold these paper targets for the kids to aim at they loved that. I was scared and unsure the first time also, oh and the middle would go in his pants as long as he had something on, but would go on the potty when he was bottomless. He wore long shirts to hide his private area during this time and I would put something on if someone came over. Yes, there a few accidents, but we did it and so will you.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 9:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Hi there, I would buy underwear and stop with the pull ups until night time. Your child should have accidents ,but they should wear underwear. Ask if they need to go and make it a habbit. It's stuff , but just stay on your child after they eat and or drink. Good luck..... My son only wears his pull ups at night.... I would buy alot of them to. It's cheaper to wash than buy pull ups today.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2009