Why would a 5 year old be prescribed Zoloft?

I work at a daycare and every day I have to give this 5 yr old boy his meds... Three pills. I think two are generic types of Ritalin, and one is a generic Zoloft. I was told once that sometimes Ritalin makes kids who once were happy into kids who will cry for no reason... so could the Zoloft be prescribed to offset the side-effects of Ritalin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have been prescribed zoloft twice in my life. I am 20 years old. Zoloft is generally an antidepressant but can also be used if the child has mood swings.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 6:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• jessiescore: Yeah I'm on Zoloft, so I know what it does for adults, I just can't imagine a preschooler needing antidepressants :(

--OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was on Zoloft for OCD, I have no idea why a 5 year old would be medicated in this way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Why don't you ask the parents what the medication is being used for? As his teacher, you should know what conditions he suffers from. I am not a doctor or psychiatrist so there is no way that I would even guess why a child is on Zoloft. Something prescribed for adults for certain reasons are prescribed to a child for another. You could look up Zoloft on webmd.com and read about what Zoloft is prescribed for in kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It should be in his charts why he is taking each medication.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It's none of your business, actually. You're to give him his prescribed medication. You've no reason to know why he's taking it.

If I was a parent with a child on medication and a teacher asked me such a nosy question...it would be the last time she had a chance to ask such a question.

The school nurse should know, and MIGHT have permission to release the information to those who need to know (EMT's for example if something should happen) but a teacher doesn't need to know. IF there is something that interferes with his learning or development then there would be an IEP. In that case, the teacher would obviously know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Is your facility licensed to administer medications?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• That poor baby. I feel bad for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• anon: "If I was a parent with a child on medication and a teacher asked me such a nosy question...it would be the last time she had a chance to ask such a question."

uh DERRRR that's why i didn't ask his mom. I care about the kid and that's why I wanted to know.

um yeah my facility is licensed to administer meds, we have forms they fill out and everything.

Gawd, one person is bitching at me b/c i SHOULD know why i'm giving it to him, one person bitches at me b/c they think its none of my business. Jesus get a life.

--the OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009