birth control

im about to have a baby in 3 weeks or so, and my doc told me to start thinking about bc, i was on the pill, but it had failed, so i need another method, what are you using, any side afects? and we do plan on getting pregnant again in about a year, but not before, any advice.

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• The nuva ring is awesome! its the same effectiveness. I loved being on it. I'm actually just starting back on it again too! I just had a baby too. but look for a different method if your bfing. I had no side effects using this before! Good luck finding what suits you best!
    mandi_m

Answer by mandi_m at 6:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• im using IDU (Mirena) its got veryy veryy few side effects and you dont have to worry bout taking anything daily,weekly, or monthly . When you decide to get preg again they will take it out. Very convenient and .3 or .4 percent more effective than pills =)
    carolynhowell

Answer by carolynhowell at 6:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends waiting at least 3 years after birth before trying to get pregnant. It's best for your body and it's best for your new baby. It also makes it easier to parent. Doctors should know this and tell their patients. So you may want to do more research and look for a method with longer spacing in mind.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am using Mirena and it is safe to use while breastfeeding. Very little hormones. It has stopped my periods but it only does that to some women.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I hear the IUD's hurt. My cousin got one and she cried lol. thats not funny. But yeah I would recommend an IUD if maybe you wanted to wait more than a year so you don't have to go through that process 2x's in a year. just a thought. : )
    mandi_m

Answer by mandi_m at 7:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I recommend Nuvaring, as well. I don't know if you are breastfeeding, but you could check with your doctor. I couldn't take the pill because it made me so sick. with Nuvaring I don't have any side effects and I don't have to remember pills everyday. Hope that helps and congrats on the new baby!
    rae.of.sunshine

Answer by rae.of.sunshine at 11:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009