I need help finding some research for my Thesis. Any volunteers?

I am taking a modern fiction class and most of the novels we are reading depict women as sexual objects. We are only reading ONE out of ten books that was written by a women. ( Toni Morrison) This unsettles me because women should be included. There were many great modern women writers.

To my point. I am looking for research on why women were depicted as sexual objects or as lower than the male in these works. I have read some things and from those things I understand that women were partially depicted that way because it was the male mindset. Women were seen as evil or lesser than.

We are reading some Paul Auster, Thomas Mann, Marcel Proust, William Faulkner, Saul Bellow...these are just a few. Sometimes it helps to search for things through them.

Any help would be great.

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 6:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What kind of help do you need?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Hmmm...start by researching matriarchal societies, and look at the history of when and where females dominated, and at how the downfalls of these societies began. The sole reason these stories of 'females being to root of all evils' arose was nothing more than a base manipulation to shift the power. Historically, any group that wants to rise above another begins the subjugation with tales and rumor in their own camp about the "enemy". If you look into the ways and means by which matriarchal societies were taken down, you should have no trouble finding a thesis for your paper.

Good luck.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009