does anyone know about oscar fish?

i need advice from someone who has an oscar fish. I am upgrading to a larger tank and would like to get an oscar. what should I know???

nowaygourmet

Asked by nowaygourmet at 7:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pets

• They get huge and aggressive with other types of fish....we had some for a while.

Ours use to come to the top of the tank and would eat baloney from our fingers...lol

They are pretty though....if your tank is big enough and you put the right other types of fish with them ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We had oscars when I was little. I remember them being aggressive and they kept having babies. Our tank was 75 gallons! Eventually my dad got rid of them. LOL
    MaWolf

Answer by MaWolf at 7:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Our local pet store sells them. They have a big poster of what fish to put in with an Oscar and what not to put in. They sell everything from babies to these huge suckers. I would recommend babies.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am only planning on putting 1-3 other fish in with it. a Pleco and possibly a shark or 2 that are compatible but will only be 6 inches when full grown. I really need to know how big of a tank I need. I want a 20-30 gallon. I am thinking a 20 gallon is only big enuf 4 an oscar and my pleco.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 7:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You need MUCH bigger. My oscar was the size of a silver dollar when I got him 5 years ago. He is now well over 9in and my 29gallon tank is too small for him. I need to go bigger.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 5:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• if put in with other fish the oscar will eat all of them leaving you with an oscar..
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I had 2 oscars housed in a 125 gallon aquarium. They grew to 15" long each, they were almost too big for the tank. At 4 years old, I sold them back to the pet shop so they would have more room in a larger tank.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• A 20 gallon tank is NOT suitable for an Oscar at all. I've had fish for over 20 years and about 15 of those years have been Cichlids.
    There are 2 different types of Cichlids- Africans and South American. They should not be mixed. Africans desire a ph of about 8.0-8.4, and South Americans like it neutral. Oscars are South Americans. They are carnivorous and will eat anything.. I stress ANYTHING! A small 2-3" oscar can eat about 5 feeders at a time. They need a food that is packed with protein. Most people feed them feeder fish. Their full length is usually around 16" long, and about 4" thick. Mine were HUGE!
    You need a 55 gallon tank at the very least for 1 oscar. In regards to putting sharks with them.. not a good idea. Fresh water sharks are very docile in comparison to an oscar. They get about 10- 12" long, but they are not designed to live with oscars. Also, Plecos get 18" in length.
    Go by inches at full length.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• For instance- 1 oscar needs at least 16 gallons of water to live when it is full grown, a shark needs at least 14 gallons and a Pleco needs 18 gallons. That is 48 gallons right there that is needed for 3 fish. If you plan on more than 3 fish you will need at least a 75-125.
    My last Cichlid tank was 120 gallons. I had 2 Blood parrots that were 8" each, a 14" Pleco and an Oscar that was 16" long. Do lots of research on Cichlids before diving in.. they are lots of fun, but they are large, aggressive and have been known to break tanks and kill all their tank mates.
    There are lots of options for tank mates- Jack Dempseys, Convicts, Parrots, Jewels, etc... They're all evil! LOL
    I love Cichlids!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Forgot to add- my guys ate 120 feeders once a week and pellets once a week. They do NOT have to be fed constantly... and don't feed tons of feeders right off.. it increases their aggressiveness and raises the ammonia level in the tank if they are not all eaten. I put all of them in at once, but they were ALL gone within a couple of hours.
    Good luck!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:58 AM on Aug. 28, 2009