How can I get my 22 month old to stop saying "NO" to EVERYTHING!! even if she really means yes?

It has been going on for several weeks and I dont think I want to hear her say NO one more time. We have tried time-out, ignoring, and encouraging her to say no thank you. Help.

jenn268575

Asked by jenn268575 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she says no, and you know she means yes, give her what she says..if you ask if she wants icecream, and she says no, don't give it to her. When she throws a fit, say "You said you didn't want any, so I'm putting it away. If you want icecream, say yes when I ask." Good luck.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Some things to try.

1. Stop saying no to your toddler.
    2. Teach her to sign yes and no.
    3. Use clicker training (yes like for dogs). For more info google Karen Pryor clicker training

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 21 mos and says "no" everytime she is mad, sad, or upset over something. If I think she would like something, I'll ask her "would you like you're juice? yes??? (pause) or no???" usually the answer becomes yes if I tell her the option of yes. If I ask if she wants something and she says NO anyways, she doesn't get anything until she tells me what she wants! It makes me sad with how much she says no! I'll tell her "mama loves you! do you love mama?" and of course... "NO!" :( but I think she likes having the option to choose.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2009