My DD wants to join honors choir....

She brought home the consent papers on Monday and she said she wants to join, so we went and found a song then went and found the lyrics to it, we have practiced for 2 hrs each evening the last 4 days..Im no expert,but can sing, im trying my hardest to teach her how, and went and done different exercises off the internet, she really wants to do and it will cost $50 dollars...I have not been hard on her, just truthful in the motherly way that this may not be a good time, since there's not been enough practice, she had to turn the slip in this AM...so i signed it, she has to do 2 solo's in a week, I'm just scared for her, she may not be picked and I would hate for her to be crushed...how can i make the next week easier on her? any advice? suggestions?She is 9 in the 4th grade

Pepperlynns

Asked by Pepperlynns at 7:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• The best thing to do is be supportive of her! If this is something she really wants she should at least be able to try out. If the money is an issue explain that, if not let her try. She may be picked. I know how hard it is when our kids are not chosen for something they really want. Be there for her than, tell her there is always next year and then she will have time to practice. But don't worry about her not being picked yet, because she just might be!!! Let her try, she'll never know if she can if she doesn't. and she'll be upset with you if you don't let her!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree. As long as you are there supporting her and are honest with her, she should be okay. If she does not make it, I am sure it will be hard on her and you just have to the shoulder she can cry on, without telling her, I told you so.

You could let her know ahead of time that she may not make it and talk to her about that before it even happens. Maybe something like, I think it is great that you are trying this and I will be your biggest support. I just want you to understand that you may not make it, ask her how she would feel about that.

Again, I would say just let her know how proud you are of her for doing this and just be there for her.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• There are worse things in life than not being picked. Is it hard when that happens, sure. It also gives us as parents the oppotunity to teach them to push on, keep trying. I really am sick of the 'no losers' thing. It isn't how life works and it does our kids a disservice in the end. If she wants to try out you be the best suppoting Mom you can be. Let her know it is okay if she doesn't make it as long as she tries her best. We don't have to be better than the kid next door...all we have to be is the best we are capable of being.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Don't get me wrong, but we coddle kids today when it comes to competition. Everyone gets a trophy or medal, because everyone is a winner...and that doesn't help our kids. How can they learn to appreciate the victories, if they never experience a loss? I do agree though it sucks to see your kid dissappointed, but if anything it should add fuel to her fire to try next year. Whats the worst that can happen? She isn't picked. But think about the best, she just might get picked!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009