Is this acceptable?

BOISE, Idaho — An Idaho Republican gubernatorial hopeful insists he was only joking when he said he'd buy a license to hunt President Barack Obama.

Rex Rammell, a former elk rancher slated to run against incumbent C.L. "Butch" Otter in the May 2010 GOP primary, made the comment at a Republican rally Tuesday in Twin Falls where talk turned to the state's planned wolf hunt, for which hunters must purchase an $11.50 wolf tag.

When an audience member shouted a question about "Obama tags," Rammell responded, "The Obama tags? We'd buy some of those."

Rammell told The Associated Press Thursday he was just being sarcastic and sees no reason to apologize for the comment.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There is a difference between illegal and acceptable. There are a lot of things that are not illegal, and, in my opinion, shouldn't be illegal, because some things should be dictated by "self policing".

It shouldn't be illegal, because to make it so would be an infringement on Freedom of Speech. But that does not mean that it should be considered acceptable to say it - just because you have the right to say something doesn't mean that people have to listen to it or agree with it, or not hold you accountable for it.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Is it illegal to make a joke now?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No, I don't think this is acceptable. I also didn't think it was acceptable when people would make comments about how Bush should have gone hunting with Cheney, etc.

Just because you don't like a particular politician doesn't mean that it's ok to start publicly wishing them dead, or making jokes about it. There's a way to disagree, and this isn't it.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• What they said ^
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No, I don't think this is acceptable. I also didn't think it was acceptable when people would make comments about how Bush should have gone hunting with Cheney, etc. Just because you don't like a particular politician doesn't mean that it's ok to start publicly wishing them dead, or making jokes about it. There's a way to disagree, and this isn't it.

Feel the same! Joking about killing or shooting a fellow politician should not be tolerated. It's even worse when it is a man running for office

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Carpy...For the next 3 1/2 years it will be if you're a Republican/conservative or identify with being Caucasian!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Is it illegal to make a joke now?

Who said anything about legality?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It shouldn't be illegal, because to make it so would be an infringement on Freedom of Speech. But that does not mean that it should be considered acceptable to say it - just because you have the right to say something doesn't mean that people have to listen to it or agree with it, or not hold you accountable for it.

Exactly! Politicians should be held to a pretty HIGH standard. Saying you would hunt the president just doesn't fit that criteria for me

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Oh, and btw, I'm white, I'm politically moderate, and I did not vote for Obama. I still think it's wrong to make "jokes" like this.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's only legal if you are a Republican..If a Democrat said it, all the Republicans on here and everywhere else would be lining up for the fainting couch. Fox News would run a continuous loo-pity loop of it. I always thought a threat against the POTUS, even a "joke" was illegal..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009