Why has being liberal become synonymous with being black and being conservative has become synonymous with being racist?

Being that I am a conservative African American, reading posts on here and blogs and talking to people, it seems that everyone has started to make that distinction. Just don't understand why? Please help!!! Thanks mamas!

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Huh? this is crazy talk! I can speak only for myself, I do not make such stereotypes!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't think that liberal =black there are many many many liberals of all colors but I do feel personally that being conservative to many = racist...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• truth- I have just been reading posts today on here and my goodness would be amazed at some of these comments! I don't make such assumptions either thats what made it so confusing for me.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't say that being liberal is synonymous with being black, but conservatives sure are likely to be white.
    I would rather say that being liberal is synonymous with being DIVERSE ...
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 8:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well I can personally say that being a white liberal I have come across a lot of conservatives that just hate me. Thing is I live my life in what most consider a very conservative way. I'm a SAHM, I speak properly, have nice things, I am strict with my children and I walk with God. So I am usually just hated all around. What you are seeing is the very thing that is destroying country. I really wish I had an answer to make it better. To bring us all back together to build a strong country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• me too anon me too :(
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm a white liberal. LOL. I don't think you can make generalizations like that because we aren't stereotypes and cartoon- like fake people. We all have our reasons for supporting parties and agendas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think there certainly are media outlets that would have people think that -I don't think it's true.
    Liberalism holds {in historical meaning} that the only legitimate form of government is one that respects the liberty of its citizens, with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law. Which would be a widely accepted and reasonable belief for black Americans to have, given their ancestral past in this country. This may be a foundational belief that many may use to rationalize speculations and assumptions about how their black neighbor must feel about politics. However ignorant such may be, I think it offers, in part, an explanation.While all of our black Americans can identify with the historical foundation of liberalism - I don't believe they are Liberal because they are black. I believe all people identifies with the party or parties who they feel will bring their personal values to the govt.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well I have learned that Black people that are liberal will tell a black conservative they are an uncle tom. I think maybe if Black people would not expect other black people to be liberals, then that can reverse a lot of the speculation that the majority of Black people are liberals.

Which would then cause the liberals to see that Black people can be Liberal or Conservative which would then reverse the allegation Conservatives are racist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not all conservatives are racist, however the neo cons and a facet of the republican party have been veering into an "us versus them" mentality. All you have to do is look at a few posts to see generalizations that liberals are poor, on assistance, and here's where the racism comes in, Black, because they think all people on assistance are Black.

However, I live in a racially mixed, educated, relatively affluent area and most people are libs in this district.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009