Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone sued their doc after their delivery? Just wondering what steps to take?

I do not want to get into all the details, lets just say every question I asked I was either told NO, ignored or told I had to do things a certain way, plus being told (by the docs) I shouldn't question them or their decisions.

So if anyone did sue their doc (and I'm not sure I want to, just gathering information at this point, all my medical records, writing down everything that happened, etc...) please let me know what you did, why and what paperwork you had when you went to the lawyer

Answer Question

Asked by finallyamom40 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in About CafeMom

Level 3 (24 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • contact a lawyer.. ! ..but this is why insurance rates are high.. ? is this really a reason to sue..? are you healthy, your children healthy?.. think it over.. before you ruin someones job..
    are you doing this for the right, reason or just for the money?

    Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

  • Honestly, I think you have to prove some form of injury due to their actions, not just a dislike for their methods. So, if your child was injured, or you were injured then you might have a case. But as the pp said, contact a lawyer, laws are different in each state, so you need specific info for the place you live.

    Answer by Petie at 8:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

  • I actually don't want any money I just don't want any other woman to have to go through this experience with this doctor ever again.

    Answer by finallyamom40 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

  • I agree, you would have to show injury or harm to you or the baby...can you file a grievance with the state medical board or hospital...

    Answer by Jan40 at 8:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

  • I agree with everyone else. If you do not have proof of injury, the case will not make it to court. The doctors have great malpractice insurance with great lawyers to keep from getting sued for ignorant reasons.

    Answer by mommytoangel407 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

  • Jan40 I have talked to the hospital, filing a grievance with the state medical board is a good idea, I think that would be the way to go. I thought emotional and physical harm was enough to sue, however I honestly don't care about any money (why should I? My insurance covered everything but our deductible and we were fully prepared for that), I really just don't want other women to have to deal with this doc at least not without being fully prepared to be told basically to shut up and let her (the doc) do what she wants when you're the one having the baby

    Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.