Agree with the President or immigrant rights leaders?

PHOENIX, AZ -- Following a closed-door meeting last Thursday in which President Barack Obama, administration officials, and nearly 100 immigrant rights leaders discussed plans for comprehensive immigration reform, a coalition of 521 organizations signed an open letter to Obama criticizing the Presidents inactivity on immigration reform.

The organizations behind the letter are planning vigils, marches, and other events across the country to protest the administration's policy on the Department of Homeland Security 287(g) local immigration enforcement program and say they were "deeply alarmed" by the announcement six weeks ago by Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano that DHS would be expanding the 287(g) program to 11 new jurisdictions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dawn-teo/after-being-ignored-by-wh_b_270451.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Although the White House has refused to discuss the details or agenda of the White House meeting, sources who participated in the meeting last week say that the coalition behind this week's letter to Obama is even more troubled by the remarks Obama made directly to immigration reform groups last week expressing his support for 287(g) and other enforcement mechanisms.

The letter demands the "immediate termination" of the 287(g) program of the Immigration and Nationality Act, under which the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can make agreements with local law enforcement agencies to allow federally trained and supervised state and local law enforcement officers to investigate, apprehend, transport, and detain people who are suspected of living or working in the country illegally.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Obama told participants of the White House meeting that he was elected to solve problems and that he intends to solve the immigration problem. Using some stump lines from his campaign days, he reiterated that he will pass comprehensive immigration reform that will actually make the system better. But Obama also said that he must show America that he is not afraid of enforcement and that he will uphold America's values as a nation of both immigrants and laws.

But among comprehensive immigration reform advocates, even after the meeting (or especially after the meeting), a chief concern is that the Obama administration is putting too heavy an emphasis on enforcement. Mexican American Political Association (MAPA) President Nativo Lopez told La Frontera Times, "The Obama administration continues to ignore that growing clamor from diverse sectors of the immigrant and Latino communities throughout the nation for an end to the enfo
    sweet-a-kins

• I was definitely hoping to see more action on immigration from Obama, but to be fair I think I have to give him more time before accusing him of inaction on it. I think he is busy "putting out fires" as we say in the bar business, with the economy and wars, etc.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't like huff po even If it is quasi critical of Obama.

He promised bigger, more sweeping reform, and has other things to do right now. They shouldn't be bullying so early in the game. I agree with Obama in this case. Probably won't like his immigration reform when it does happen.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• They are here...get over it! After all it is rightfully their land that was stolen from them years ago. How does it feel to have your country invaded and taken over? Probably how they felt when "immigrants" came and took over their land and made a law to keep them out.

I am referring to the Mexicans since that is who I see most ppl complaining about when talking about immigration...like they are the only ones here...
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• orkibe3--this is what I have been saying for years! Thank you! So very few like to admit Vallejo was duped into signing the treaty that handed over California to the United States (he had been told his family had been kidnapped and if he didn't sign, they would die). It is shameful and ignoring that simple fact only makes those crying about immigration from Mexico more shameful.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 9:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with Stacy. Immigration is an issue that is very important to me, but the man hasn't even been in office a year. Oh and if you think there is alot of rhetoric and anger over health care, just wait until he tries to tackle immigration :)

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• After all it is rightfully their land that was stolen from them years ago.

What a crock of crap. Show me ONE Mexican alive today that had their own land stolen from them. You can't. This arguement is just as ridiculous as the one about reparations for African Americans.

We don't need reform. We need to enforce the laws on the books. If people want to come here, great, let them do it legally.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

RIGHT!!!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• ok yourspecialkid....how about this... I am Native American and our land was stolen....just as they stole the land from Mexicans....regardless if those pl are still alive or not... their families and descendants are.... and WE ARE NOT HAPPY!!!!
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009