Babies One Week Check-Up

He lost 2 ounces in the hospital and gaines 7 ounces after coming home and grew 1/4 of an inch, is that normal....just wondering....my first was a premie so he was a lil slow at growing....thanks to all who answer...oh if it helps he started out 8lbs 3 oz and 19 1/2 inches....any advice...thanks

Mamaof2boys0709

Asked by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They are supposed to get back to birth weight by their 2 week check up.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If the baby is breastfed that's great. If the baby is formula fed the baby may have gained too much.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• ds was 6lbs 8 oz when he was born then he left the hospital at 6.2. at hios one week he was 5.14. he is now 6 mts and almost 17lbs (bf)
    my dd was 7.3 at birth. left the hospital at 6.14 at her one week she was 7 lbs. ( ff/bf)
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• That's great! I'm sure there is a large range of what is normal. My first had also gained weight by 1 week old, and it kind of made me sad because I expected him to stay as small as he was when he was born for 2 weeks. But at the same time it was good to know he was growing well. My daughter was still under her birthweight for almost a full 2 weeks, she grew so much slower than my son, but both were normal and healthy.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My little boy was 8lb 9oz at birth and by his two week checkup he was up to 9lb 7oz, then at 1 month he was at 11lb 12 oz.. Totally a boob man. He grew so quickly we were worried it might be too much- but he is right where he should be. Every baby is different and your little boy is doing great. Keep up the good work!!
    mamaof2becka

Answer by mamaof2becka at 1:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009