Should a special ed teacher who works w/children w/lots of disabiliesbe rude to parents?

I went to an open house in May 2009 to teller school,in Den,Co.We had some questions about the school and howthe teacherhandles a child with ADHD.At that point she claim all the children are like my son.I disagree w/ her .Since then I refuse to speak w/ her.I am looking for a new school that I will have to pay for my son to go too.They have grades1-5 together which is about 31students and only 2 teachers,1 para.My son got hurt the other day and nobody called,his elbow was dirty,they didn;t clean his elbow.Theplay ground is not safe to play also.

snowqueen123

Asked by snowqueen123 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in

• If you don't like the schools you can teach your child yourself. Many of us with special needs kids have done it.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No teacher should be rude to the students parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Have you tried talking to the teacher or an administrator about your concerns with the teacher?
    wikem81

Answer by wikem81 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Those all put up warning flags for me, and my kids are "normal". I wouldn't put up with that from a teacher, the rudeness is bad enough, but not cleaning a wound can lead to serious problems.

Are all the kids special needs? I work with special needs kids at the high school level, and 2 teachers and 1 para with 31 kids seems like not enough adults. We'll have about 50 kids this year with 4 teachers and about 27 - 28 EAs.

At any rate, I'd be rethinking this school too, an unsafe playground, uncaring teachers, doesn't sound like the best environment for any child, much less one with special needs.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I would suggest talking with the supervisor and let her know your concerns. I was at our special ed office and mine when I asked her if she knew anything about my son's new teacher said no and that was a good thing. She said when she hears about a teacher that means they usually have problems. So if you approach them you may not be the only parent and it might be what that school needs.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• refusing to speak to your child's teacher doesn't seem like a very good idea. You should change schools if you aren't able to work with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Have you talked to the teacher or principal? Or are you going to just pull your kid out of school? You really need to talk to the teacher about what happened. The teacher could have been having a hard day, you could have misunderstood her, she could have misunderstood her. You haven't even tried to work with her, you just acted immature and said that because she was rude, you weren't going to talk to her. Try talking to her, you may be surprised at what happens. Are you going to change schools everytime a teacher or staff member is rude? If you think changing school to one that you have to pay for will get your child away from rude and uncaring teachers, you have another guess coming. I know many teachers that are awesome teachers and awesome with the kids but are not comfortable talking with parents. Before you take your child out of school TALK WITH THE TEACHER AND PRINCIPAL.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Not all children have ADHD and not all children with ADHD have issues that need the school to be aware of. It is unique to each child and family. I will say that I have known many teachers who do not "believe" in ADHD and make their own minds up about how to handle that specific situation. As a therapist who worked in schools I would often have to remind parent the the teacher is not allowed by law to make a medical diagnosis nor allowed to dismiss the medical diagnosis. First thing to point out to her is that your son was diagnosed by a professional. By the law the school has to make reasonable accomodations to meet your child's learning needs. Have a mental health professional assist you in what some of those needs are and encourage the teacher to implement some of them. Talking to administrative staff also helps. In the end, even supportive principals can't make teachers follow the accomodations.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• no way should she be rude ive been here alot i have 2 sons with adhd n they really can be rude.put them in there place right off the bat n complain i did alot they knew me personally but they also new if 1 thing was wrong with my kids my lawyer would call them right away..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

Next question in
scholarships??

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
Babies One Week Check-Up