How do I get my 7 month old to sleep on his own?

My baby is a great baby. He only cries when he is hungry and sleepy. Other than that he is happy and crawling everywhere. The only problem I have is that when its time for him to sleep he will only sleep in my arms. He now weighs 20lbs and my back is killing me lol. It was ok when he was smaller but now im just tired. I have no idea what to do. I don't even know how to start getting into a bed time routine. He goes to sleep 10pm, 11pm, even 12am. I am a new mom so I could really use some advice.

JC24

Asked by JC24 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait about 2.5 years ....:) It sounds like you are doing a great job and your baby is letting you know how important you are and how important it is for baby to be held. It sound more like a pillow problem then a baby problem. Try different positions and getting pillows around you so you don't get sore.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I avoided this problem simply by laying my son down in his crib wide awake from the day I brought him home from the hospital. He has always put himself to sleep on his own, and sleeps at least 10-12 hours straight every single night!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think it is great that he still likes to fall asleep on you. With that said, if you are looking for a way to get him to sleep in his own bed, then be for warned that it might be a little trying at first.

When I started getting my kids to sleep on their own, I would pick a bed time, say 8:00 if that works for you. Then we would start our bed time routine at 7:30. They would get a drink, brush teeth, I would brush them, and then I would read a book. After that I would put them in their crib. The first few time there was a lot of crying. I would go in every 5 min or so the first night, then I would let him cry a little longer every night. I would go in and give him a hug and tell him everything was okay. The only thing I never did was take him out.

I understand how hard this may be. Good Luck and feel free to send me a message if you have any other questions.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Take a flat pillow and put it in his crib and lay him on it, turn his mobile on and give him a binkey or a bottle with some water, that way the music will keep him occupied.
    A lot of mothers say pillows are not safe but if you use a flat pillow it's fine, my baby had his pillow since he was five months and my mom used pillows with all of us, besides it's more comfy for the baby
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• With my 7 month old, we just lie her down around 10pm and let her cry it out for 10minutes then she usually goes to sleep on her own. Now this doesn't work everynight and when it doesn't we just make sure she is nice and fed and try again. Also, we have been doing this since she was 4 months and it was much harder then. But like the other anwerer said, it's not an absolute ness that your baby is on a strict bedtime now and enjoy your time holding her as she falls asleep, it's great bonding and you'll miss it when shes older.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We started a routine at 4 mos and it has worked ever since. I started with a bedtime routine and getting her to bed between 11 and 12 and she has since pushed her bedtime back to 8 on her own by 6 mos. But to get him to sleep on his own put down partially awake and let him cry a little and continue to check on him every 5 to 10 mins. Eventually it will take less and less crying or whining to fall asleep. It is hard to do this the first few times, but it gets easier as time goes on. My 14 mo cried for 20 mins tonight b/c she was over tired and needed to be in bed. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thank you everyone. Its good to hear that I am not the only one going through this. I feel horrible, like im a bad person, letting him cry. But I will try it.
    JC24

Answer by JC24 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009