Dumb Question but... why can animals do it but we cant?

Why can horses & other animals drink water from rivers/lakes/dirty metal pails ect. without getting sick but we cant...
Maybe Im having a really dumb moment right now.. im tired... but hey... its on my mind.. lol..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• HAHA.. I thought you were gonna ask why can animals lick themselves & we can't~! Uhh...cuz were a society of germaphobes? Have you ever tried drinking from a river or a lake or a dirty pail, ok ya, me either but I read that dirt...soil is healthy, it has minerals and stuff in it that actually boost our immune systems and improve our moods, that's why we get all happy walking through the woods I guess...aromatherapy...oh yeah, and they say if your veggies are organic, don't rinse all the dirt off with that damn antibacterial vegetable wash stuff ( chemicals cause cancer fer crap sakes) it's good for you~!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 8:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• oppz! i didn't read fully hehe...
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 8:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Why can dogs lick their ___ and eat cat poo out of litter pans and not get sick?
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Actually we can. We just might end up with the runs. If an animal such as a dog drinks from a creek or lake, it is probably safe enough to keep you alive. But animals have different systems than we do, ours are kind of spoiled with purified water, and sanitzed utensils etc. So, basically, their systems are more adjusted to the bacteria in unfiltered water than ours are. At least that's how I've always thought it worked.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• chocolatluver, that's what I thought it was gonna say!! haha

I agree with the PP's. It's because we have been drinking "safe" water since we were babies/toddlers, so our system isn't prepared for creek water and mud water.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I must agree with Petie and chocolat! People in India bathe, wash clothes, and drink out of the same river and (as far as I know) they don't get sick. They've probably done it their entire lives. That's one reason you should NEVER EVER drink the water from another country, you should always buy bottled water. You never know whether your system will be able to handle the stuff in the local water.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009