Any good tips on getting my 6 month old to go to sleep on her own????

She has always had somene around to rock her to sleep and now I'm paying for it help!!!!!!!!!!

Mo-mama

Asked by Mo-mama at 8:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For a few nights rock her until she is drowsy but not fully asleep. At this point lay her down and just rub or pat her back. This will help to teach her to fall asleep in her crib. There will be times that she may have to cry a little. When she cries go in, don't pick her up, lay her down again and rub her back until she calms. Just remember it hurts us to hear our children cry more than it actually hurts them.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• She is 6 months old? She isn't able to fend for herself - it is only natural she wouldn't want to sleep on her own or be left on her own.

Just rock her - why is that such a hassle?
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We started a routine at 4 mos and it has worked ever since. I started with a bedtime routine and getting her to bed between 11 and 12 and she has since pushed her bedtime back to 8 on her own by 6 mos. But to get him to sleep on his own put down partially awake and let him cry a little and continue to check on him every 5 to 10 mins. Eventually it will take less and less crying or whining to fall asleep. It is hard to do this the first few times, but it gets easier as time goes on. My 14 mo cried for 20 mins tonight b/c she was over tired and needed to be in bed. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As coala said above.....bed time routine. I still rock my one year old at night during his bottle. But I hum to him during the bottle then hold him and continue humming. He sometimes snuggles in and sometimes talks and kisses me....those big slobbery open mouth kisses and laughes when I kiss him. But, always lay him down after a couple minutes. I think at 6 month we rocked 5 minutes or so then laid him down. He did get used to it, because when he was a newborn he fell asleep while sucking away and rarely woke when laying him down. Some days he still fusses at nap and bedtime but never more than a few minutes. It is very hard to let them cry. Never let him cry more than 15 minutes. But eventually they do learn to sooth themself to sleep. Believe me, 6 months down the road you will be glad you did it now!!!!! And at night, if they aren't all out screaming, and just fussing, let them fuss 5 minutes or so and they will be ok
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009