My 9 month old is very visual and checks out lights and fans everywhere we go. He isnt fixated on them but he does notice them where ever we go. I read all this stuff about autism and it freaks me out! He is extremely social but there is a stigma about babies looking at fans! Is this normal or something to worry about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I definately wouldn't worry unless there are other signs as well. Staring at fans could just be something that is a passing phase, so unless he has other symptoms as well, I wouldn't worry.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My toddler loves looking at fans, and he isn't autistic. Are they seriously trying to use that as a symptom? lmao, I can bet a lot of babies do that. Mine also loves the vacuum cleaner and the broom. All babies get intrigued with things like that, and to say that is a symptom is absurd.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Soon after birth, a healthy baby will gaze into your eyes. By the time he is five or six months old, he will smile and respond to his mother or father and begin to communicate by making gurgling, cooing sounds, all while gazing lovingly into the eyes of whoever is holding him. Babies seem to understand at some basic level that eyes are special and they look at eyes more than any other part of a face.

Sometimes a child does not do this. There is an absence of eye contact. Perhaps he focuses on a whirling ceiling fan or a light fixture and appears to be obsessed by the object. A voice or loud clap does not attract the baby's attention and he doesn't respond. Many times, this is the first clue a parent has that something may be wrong.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If he has already did the above (in the first paragraph), then don't worry about it. If the only thing you've noticed was him being amused with the fan, then he sounds like a perfectly normal baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• feel ya girl...my 7 month old loves to look at fans and lights and what should make me more worried is that her dad himself is on the spectrum. But I don't let it bother me too much, I just enjoy my baby for the beauty that she is. Thats my advice to you. If you baby is autistic, only a doc can diagnose and treat it. Your job is to love your baby no matter what. So until or if you get a sure answer from a doctor, don't worry too much about it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have an excel sheet that spells milestones by stages from birth to 6 months, 6 months to 12 months, 12 months to 18 months, etc. If you want I can e-mail it to you so you can keep track of what your child is or isn't doing and it can help you too to promote the achievement of those important milestones. I don't know how to insert a file in CM so I'll send it to you through my e-mail account. If you are interested, send me an e-mail. I know it will help you determinate if there is something to be concern about and bring to the pediatricians attention. The only thing I can tell you is follow your gut instinct and trust your motherly instincts.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thanks for those that posted!!! No if I say his name while he is checking out lights or fans he will look at me and smile. He is a master at eye contact he will stare you down for hours!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• So I have NEVER heard about a baby looking at fans could be autistic. My 9 month old LOVES looking at fans, it always catches his eye (as does planes, or anything above really). And after reading this I got VERY worried. But I read what Anon:34 and Anon: 36 said, he looks at people in their eye, is very active, responds to his name, smiles etc.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Adensmommy1107-NO dont worry everything is a sign I just wanted to throw it out there for reassurance b/c serious everything is a sign now a days. What scares me even more is reading about children who were normal and regressed so I am looking for signs all the time to make sure he is progressing ok!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009