How much should children at 17 months old interact with other children.

My daycare provider stated that my child likes to play on his own and does not want to play with the other kids. The other children in her day care are 3,4 and 5 and 6 years old. He is always playing with our daughters and likes to be outside with the kids in the neighborhood. He is always moving and playing with something. If the kids come up to play with him, he will interact. He easily approaches my 15 month old niece and 23month old nephew, even before they come up to him. Should I be worried.

sunshine0323

Asked by sunshine0323 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, kids this age play "beside" other kids...not with them.....Its true, I studied about it while getting my degree in Early Childhood Education.

He is still just a baby. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Ya it is fine. My DD is the same way she would much rather play alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• it may also be that the kids in the day care a older and have different ways of playing. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he shows social skills. It may also be the enviroment, how long has he been in day care for. If its only been a few weeks, he may be getting used to being in a new place, and around newer kids.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009