10 month old with seperation anxiety.........

I have two boys, fourteen months apart. The youngest is ten months and will not let me put him down. I need to do things like laundry, dishes, the usual housework, but EVERY TIME I put him down, he screams. If I'm lucky the boys will play together for twenty minutes without a peep, but that may happen once or twice a day. And they barely sleep, maybe a hour to hour and a half once a day. It's to the point that my house is filthy, because he won't stop screaming. How can I assure him/entertain him long enough to at least get a load of dishes done?

littlestchef

Asked by littlestchef at 9:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Use a sling?

When my son was 10 months he went through a period of this type of clinginess. I just gave him what he needed. He then settled down after a week or so and was ok.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My DD did this for 7 mos. We would let her scream. I would be in and out of the living room starting laundry doing dishes and general cleaning. I would walk in and she would be okay and I would walk out and the screaming would start. I tried the sling but couldn't get as much done. My 1 hour of house work turned into 3. She has gotten over it in the last month or so. Tonight we had a bout b/c I worked a lot in the last few days and she NEEDED mommy. You have to deal with this in the way that will work best for your family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have a 10 mo. old that gets like this too! But I usually try to do housework when his daddy is home so it is easier on us... but sometimes just letting them cry it out is the best option!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thank you for posting! I've tried the sling, but he is way too wiggly, and I think part of it might be because either my husband or I are holding him most of the time. I just never had this happen with my older son, in fact he just really wants to be away from me most of the time, and he's a daddy's boy. but Lawrence needs mommy, all the time. I guess what I really need to know is how long is too long to let them cry it out, and how not to cave in to his tears when he does. It's really the only option, since the housework needs to get done...........
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 10:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Like you just said above....you and hubby were holding him a lot. It may take him a couple weeks at least to get used to not being picked up every time he fusses. In the long run it will be better for him and you for him to get his independence. Are they in the same room, and waking one another up? I don't know what to say if that's the case.....put the younger one in a playpen at nap time in a seperate room????? IDK. Good luck
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009