does it make me a bad mom?

does it make me a bad mom to get respite-care for my son? he has alot of special needs and my husband is military so its basically me...

PrinceEdsmommy

Asked by PrinceEdsmommy at 9:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not at all. For a child with special needs, help is a wonderful thing!
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not at all hun. In respite, they are more able to handle the special needs then a next door neighbor that is willing to sit. Mama with children, special needs or not, need a break from time to time as well. I have done respite work, just look into it and make sure that you feel 100% comfortable with the place or person.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not at all you are only one person and if you need help then yes your doing the best mommie your child can have. Your doing wonderful keep it up momma. You need to take time for you to be a good momma.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No. Respite care makes you a better parent. Everyone needs a break every now and then. Having that good care so you can get away helps ease stress. It's good for your son, too, to have some interaction with other loving, caring people.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• A sane Mommy is a better Mommy. Don't feel bad about taking a little time for yourself. You deserve and need it, and your relationship with your child will be better for it.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No you are doing what is best for your child....Its hard enough to raise one on your own, let alone with one that has some problems....kudos for doing the right thing.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not at all! It probably makes you a BETTER mom... because you need time for a break now and then so that you can be the best mom for him that you can be.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Girl, take care of yourself! I promise you it will make you a better mommy! I know when my husband was gone last week for training it made it easier to have my mommy over to help wash bottles and get the little ones to sleep! My husband is also military, so I know the demands it puts on you as a wife let alone a mother!!! Take care of yourself so you can take care of your baby!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 9:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have a better question... how do I get respite care? lol.
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• NOT at all. In fact, i was looking into respit care for my son who has Down Syndrome. He has one older brother and one younger and my DH works long hours. I am alone with the boys all day, every day running to the grocery store, cleaning house, ect. It sometimes is hard to get things done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009