How many people are breastfeeding and formula feeding?

I am woundering how many people are breastfeeding and formula feeding as well and what did you do to get your pump and formula pretty much how did you go about planning who to talk to about it and what your doctor/hospital/wic done I am just wounderen how stuff went for others and how they went about it.
I am wonting to do breastfeeding and formula and I thought it would be interesting to hear your all stories and how you went about it. I am gonna go ahead and say sorry if their is a mispelled word or if it is hard to read dont have to answer if you dont wont to. I notice people love to be mean when they get the chance I am in a hurry so sorry if its hard to read cant wait to read your alls posts:)
thanks sabrina

honeysuckle09

Asked by honeysuckle09 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I exclusively breast fed my 2 boys until roughly 5 months and because it was hard for me to pump at work, when my stored supply disappeared we started supplimenting with formula while I was at work. I would then breastfeed when I came home. I continued the bf/ff cycle until they were both over a year old. I thought it worked beautifully. But as the previous poster said, you really need to establish your breast milk supply before you start with the formula so that you can continue to bf. Good Luck!
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• How many people are breastfeeding and formula feeding? What did you do to prepare for baby and who did you speak to about breast and formula feeding. That kindda shortens it up.
    honeysuckle09

Answer by honeysuckle09 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't have an answer for you but I'm planning to bf/ff as well so I'm interested in these answers too!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i exclusively breastfed for the first 6.5 months. then i started supplementing with formula. i stopped pumping at 8 months and then just did formula.

a lot of times doctors and others will encourage you to do breast and formula because they don't want to scare moms away from breastfeeding. but they forget to tell you that in the beginning, breastfeeding is all about supply and demand so it can be hard to try to do both.

like if you give your baby formula instead of breastmilk when he/she is still really young, then your breasts will stop making as much milk.

so my advice would be to exclusively breastfeed for as long as you can (make a goal like 6 weeks, or 3 months, or 6 months) to be sure you don't have supply issues so that you can breastfeed.

i made the goal of 3 months, and at that point it became really easy and wonderful!

good luck! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• pp here. try reading the womanly art of breastfeeding. my hospital handed out excerpts from it. i think like chapters 4 and 5, and that was a life saver for me in the beginning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i am the anon poster again. lol. i just thought i should say the reason i started supplementing was also because pumping at work was a big challenge and i continued to breastfeed after i stopped pumping but he had formula while i was at work. actually i still bf my son!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was determined to breast feed. My DD didn't get a good latch until she was about 8 weeks old and then never again after that. I pumped exclusively for 7 mos and we added formula right before she was 6 mos. That worked well for us but I needed to get over the guilt of not being able to produce enough to help her. But so life goes. She needed to eat and I didn't have enough. By the way I used a pump that was given on loan and we didn't use wic and we went to milk at 10 mos per doc instructions. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i exclusively breastfed till about 7 months old. then I still breastfed, but added formula to my sons diet. it was due to medical reasons. my son wasnt gaining much weight at all and the dr. was concerned. after some testing and an episode with white poop, they found his liver enzymes were abnormally high. adding formula helped him gain weight and he got over the illness. I felt lots of guilt, but it helped him! i also think my breastmilk wasnt producing enough fat. but I still breastfed upon waking, throughout the day and before bed. he self-weaned 3 days after his birthday. i bought the pump from target, it was like $40, but I usually only pumped a 3 oz. bottle, 5 if i was really engorged. since formula was helpful, the dr prescribed alimentum through WIC.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• A formula company or the American Academy of Pediatrics should have these statistics.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i only bf. but, if you want BM to be the primary nutrition in your baby's life, then formula will hurt that. it will hurt your supply and your baby's latch. if you give a baby a bottle to early while bfing, it can make them very lazy at the breast. this happen to me. i was in school and pumping and my baby had a bottle too much and was making him very lazy at the breast. it took about 2 weeks to get him to wanting the breast again. if you do pump, make sure you get a good pump. yes, they are expensive, but a bad pump can hurt your supply too.
    what is your reason for wanting to ff?
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2009