How do I spy on the nanny in her house?

My 21 month old boy has been going to this nanny since he was 10 months old. I don't necessarily suspect that she is mistreating him but I would sure like to hear what kind of things she is saying to him, because he sure listens to her more than to us and I am wondering if there is a fear factor involved. So I was thinking about hiding a small microphone in the diaper bag for a day. Where can I get those microphones? And is it legal to do this? I'm in Texas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm laughing right now. I don't know if it's legal. But I like your style.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• That would be an invasion of privacy if she is in her own residence which is illegal. Why dont you try getting her to come to your house and get one of those nanny cams
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You can buy one of those voice recorder things but if you place it in the diaper bad wouldn't she find it?
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Why dont you try getting her to come to your house and get one of those nanny cams?

Because she has 2 other kids to take care of.

voice recorder things

No, not that. That's too big. I was thinking of a spy microphone, it's smaller than a quarter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Perhaps you could just sit down with her, complement her on the way your son listens to her and ask how she does it. Approach her like you are asking for advice. It may be a little humbling for you, but I would bet you would get your answer. She might have great parenting tips or she might tell you she uses fear, either way you'll know.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It is not abnormal for children to listen better to someone else rather than their parents. They are not sure what to expect and know their parents much better. If you are concerned think about talking to the other parent/parents of the children also been cared for.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 9:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

JoyceTN

• Don't you think that if you find a need to spy on the nanny that it might be time for a new one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Why can't you just ask her how she gets your child to behave so well. Ask her what type of discipline she does. She is your child's caregiver, has been almost his whole life, you have to trust her...if you feel you can't trust her then you need to stop taking your child there.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Just as JoyceTN said, it is normal for children to listen to others better than their parents...sometime even their care takers/teachers. Maybe because when a rule is broken it is enforced without question. The rules and boundaries are much more clear and structured in a daycare setting, especially when there are other children, all must follow or they recieve the explained predetermined consequence. Talk to her about what she does and do the same at home. Consistency and follow through are amazing....I have a degree in Mental Health, worked in child care centers for 5 years, then with special needs children an additional 5 years, before taking time to be a SAHM. And I am not kidding when rules and consequences are consistent.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009