cool mist humidifer or steam vaporizer?

My 19 month old is sick with a cold and cough which is better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would do the cool mist. With the steam ones you have to thoroughly clean them after every use because of bacteria. I don't have time for all of that. I rinse mine after and it's good. I hope your baby feels better!
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• cool mist the steam ones are bad my pedi said making the moisture stay in their lungs actually making them stay sicker longer
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We have tried both. We started with a cool mist one because that is what are pedi suggested. They are safer because they don't get hot. The cool mist one broke and started getting everything wet. I started researching for another one when someone suggested I try a steam one. DD slept so much better at night when we had this running. Before I would hear her gurgle in her sleep because of her stuffy nose, with the steam one I never hear that.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I always use the steam one with some Vicks liquid in it you will be surprised at the difference it will make. You can find the Vicks by what I call the vaporizers.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 9:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Oh I should add don't put it on any carpeting we have a wooden floor so it works for us. My mom used to put it on a chair, you could also put it on a table just make sure it is stable, and try to keep it out of the child's reach. You could even put it in an enjoining room and it will still work, but not as well.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 9:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• we have a cool mist humidifier it has less bactieria growth then the steam ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Cool mist. A steam vaporizer can burn your child if they get near it.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 11:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009