what medication should I give my one yr. old. for a cough

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably nothing unless you have talked to your doc. I usually use a humidifier with vick's to help. But that is what was recommended by our doc.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Nothing it is good to cough and get that junk out!!! I don't give my anything for fever either unless it is over 101 because a fever is the bodys way of cookin out germs!!! But that is just me and they are only sick a day here or there all year!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• honey
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Usually nothing. So hard to hear them cough!! I tried honey mixed with lemon, but I can't say there was any vast improvement. The steam humidifier worked best for my DD as did a really warm bath with Johnson and Johnson vapor bath. It is likely that your LO is coughing because of the drainage from his nose down his throat (yuck), suctioning it out will help him best. When my DD is really plugged I put a couple of drops of saline solutions in each nostril to help loosen it up before I suction. Oh I am not looking forward to cold season!!!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• honey works greaat!! Cool mist vaprizor worked for my son who has croup almost every winter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• rub vick's on his feet and put socks on. Vaporizor. That's pretty much all I do if my girls get a cough. There isn't any medicine to give a 1 year old anymore since parents couldn't read the label and were oding their kids. Sad. It sucks to see a kid suffer.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• jackiec7707 is right. Vicks on the feet with cotton socks after a warm bath will work wonders for ALL ages. I discovered this a few years ago and have told everyone I know about it. Infants to elderly all improve by the next morning.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Vicks does not work for everyone. It actually makes it harder for my kids to breathe.

You shouldn't give any medication unless so directed by a doctor.

Honey is iffy at one year, and then it's only for a dry cough in the throat (think a tickling cough).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Honey.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• mix honey with warm water but still keep the honey think. this will coat his/her throat but not be to hard to swallow. =) vicks is good and a humidifier. a nice steamy bath with some eucalyptus oil. Good luck!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009