My baby is 7 weeks old and....

we have been very lucky with a good sleep schedule and everything from day one. Recently, within the last 4 days she has had very painful gas and green stool, could this be a bug and if not what can we do about the gas? Is she too young still for the gas drops? She cries like she is in pain all day long.....
Thoughts or advice would be appreciated!!

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you have a sling or carrier similar, I would smush her knees up to her bellybutton and put her in the sling belly to belly with me. Your body will keep her legs up and in, which forces the gasses out of her bowels, and she can rest her head on your chest listening to your heart. Combine with one or more of Dr. Harvey's Five Ss (shush, sway, swaddle, side, suck) and some gas drops, and you'll be home free.

Good luck!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 11:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• try laying her on her back and moving her legs in a bicycle movement. it should help her release gas. it always worked for my daughter.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• she is not too young for gas drops....as far as the green poop, she may have an infection...if it's the mustardy color it's probably from breastmilk if you're BFIng....does she have a fever? is she allergic if youre FFing? i would call the pedi if youre not sure and just be sure she doesnt get` dehydrated...good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son had awful gas for the longest time, and the hosp gave him gas drops from the time he was 1 day old! So it is ok. Green stools come from formula from what I've noticed, but If its really thick, the baby may be getting too much formula and not enough water! hope this helps!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• take her to dr just to make sure. so hard to say when they are little. but, yes gas drops are fine. you can also gently rub your hands on their belly in clockwise motion....more like just touching them rather than massaging....this supposedly stimulates their bowels to work correctly. i always start at the belly button and make larger circles out while singing a song. the moving their legs is great too. my son had green poop once, during a stint of diarhea and i freaked too and took him straight to the dr.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 6 weeks and has lots of problems with gassiness also. We use the gas drops which work very well. I have also found that if I lay her on her tummy on my lap and pat her back that helps her a lot. As for the green poop, I'm not sure.
    reava

Answer by reava at 10:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You can try gripe water. It works wonders for my little one. It is safe and natural and works within minutes. You can get it online or at Walgreens.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009