Any idea what news they withhold from military members?

My hubby is going out to sea soon, and I'm well aware that if you email bad news, your email will not get to them. Well, my daughter had a seizure a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering if she has another and I send him an email, will they withhold it? She was fine after her seizure before, so it's not like it would be a medical emergency, but I'd like him to know what's up. Any ideas?

If you miscarry, will they withhold that info? Any wives ever had emails withheld?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ive never heard of withholding bad news....my friends mother was in the hospital in critical condition and they were able to get her son out of iraq and home....i would hope they dont withhold important things...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't know how it is on a sub, but my husband is in the army and he gets all of my E-mails.. The good the bad an the ugly lol.. He never wants me to hold anything fro him, but like I said I have no idea how it works with the Navy..
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 10:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was in the Navy and never heard of them withholding mail going to the ship. Now they do have programs that pick up on key words from e-mails he will send and censor those. That is more to protect them and to keep information out of certain hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• well i do know a LITTLE about navy emails since i had friends on carriers...they DO scan emails but just for threats...there are times when the email system is taken offline depending what waters they are in (like dangerous or hostile ones) but when email system goes back online the people get everything thats backed up.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• they will only withhold an email if there is a virus, or if it threatens the saftey of the crew. and like it says above, there are times when emails can't go in or out b/c it can put them at risk or they lose a signal or whatever. i've never heard of them not letting them see an email. now when it comes to bad news, you can send bad news through the red cross, this way it goes to his chain of command first so someone is there to be with him if need be. (this is only for medical things, births, deaths, emergencies..real emergencies though, and immediate family only). use your discretion on what to tell him, for example: my best friend's husband was deployed when his childhood friend died, they would not have given him leave to come home for the funeral since it was a friend not family, and he didn't talk to the mans family on a regular basis so she waited til he was home to tell him that way it didn't affect his mentality CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• while he was deployed. now if you're daughter has a seizure you can send him an email if she's ok and they will not withhold that info, if you have a m/c that is more something you'd want to send through red cross (and in the message they will tell his CO that he needs to call home so they will get him access to a phone asap) or if you know the email of one of his friends, you could send them an email saying you are about to give your SO bad news and can they keep an eye on him for you. i did this when i told my husband that his aunt's fiance died b/c i wasn't sure how he would react since it wasn't his uncle but the man had been in his life for about 15 years.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I've never heard of anything being withheld that had to do with information of a personal nature. I was deployed for a little over a year and got bad news while I was over there. No one withheld any info from me. To my knowledge, that is not a normal practice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• OP here: We actually just had a predeployment meeting and the COB told us that they withhold emails that contain bad news, because they don't want bad news to affect their job performance when there is nothing they can do about it. They are very open about the fact that they don't let bad news go to the guys if they think it will affect the boat negatively, at least on subs they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my hubby is army and they tell us that if you have news like that that needs to get to hubby, go to your FRG (family readiness group) or your rear detachment. they can help you get word to your hubby. also in the case of something like a miscarriage or death in the family, you can go to the red cross and send a red cross letter that will grant him emergency leave (pending command approval of course) when they reach port.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2009