whats the difference?

between baptist christians, episcipalian(sp?), lutheran, and so on and so forth? whats the difference between all of the sects of christianity? im baptist, so i know about that but if you believe in God and that Jesus is our savior, isn't that what all of christianity is about? im not asking this to be a drama starter, i just really want to know... especially since im looking for a new church home, i really want to know what is out there, thanks

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• try religioustolerance.org. They are very insightful on different religions, including different denominations of Christianity.

here is a clickable link:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• These are all different denominations. They usually vary on things from type of baptism, the ordination of women and homosexuals, to things like alcohol use, dress, and onto things like the issue of eternal security, issues about Christs return and things as silly (in my opinion) as style of worship. My advice is to visit a church, pick up any information that they offer you and see what you agree with and disagree with.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Doctrine is the main difference. Not the basic but the further in.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes doctrine is the big difference. I don't know what each denominations doctrine is. I just know what I believe.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 12:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree it's the doctrine's that are taught. Like I was SDA *Seventh Day Adventist* We don't eat unclean meats and also ALOT of SDA's are vegetarian/vegan, also no alchohol at all not even a beer. We have a prophetess, Ellen G White. There is alot of hatred for her but as far as I have studied the hate is not true. SDA's wear modest clothing, believe in not being flashy in dress and also do not wear jewellery and for some this also goes for the wedding ring. We also believe in the seventh day being sabbath and that sabbath day was never changed to sunday. There is more but that's a basic outline.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The basic beliefs of Christianity are the same; the various philosophical ideas (that seek to answer the "why?" questions about God) vary. The hermeneutical process (process by which the Bible is interpreted) may also vary from denomination to denomination, as well as their individual public and church stances on social issues.

For example, Lutherans allow female clergy, Baptists do not (while there are a very few Baptists that may have female clergy, it is not widely accepted or embraced by the denomination). Lutherans Christen and Baptise infants, Baptists do not. So on and so forth.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2009