If you lost your job, would you still take your child to daycare for the whole day?

I was a sahm for 18mo & I wish I could still be one, but can't afford it. We have a mom that isn't actively looking for a job but still brings her ds to daycare from 8-5. I don't know about you but I would only drop my dd off if I had an interview or maybe for a couple hours so I could job search but not all day long. I love spending time with her too much & would take every chance I could to be with her before landing another job. I do get state assistance for childcare as does she, but I think this may be one of those mom's that does abuse the sys a little. She even came in with her new hi-lights.

Asked by Jesstsilly at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• I lost my job back in Nov 2007 and the next day I pulled my daughter from daycare. There was no way I could send her on a personal level let along pay for it financially since I had just lost my job. Plus it was the best 4 months I got at home with her! The only time I sent her was on days that I would have an interview and then I would go pick her up right after!

Answer by ZetaMommy at 8:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I wouldn't drop them off, unless I was looking for a job and hoped it wouldn't be that long before I found out, then I would still send them so I didn't loose my spot. But I love being home with my kids.

Answer by jackie8236 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i would only take my kids to daycare if I was actively looking for a job. Otherwise I'd have them home to save $$

Answer by Sony_0025 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• It sounds like shes not using the state assisted daycare for what it was intended. If she were looking for work full time I could understand putting the children in daycare but just to go home and sit on her butt? No, I don't understand that and would never do that.

Answer by Eliza34 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• She sounds like a lazy heifer to me.

• I have a friend that kept her son in daycare fulltime while she was between jobs. The daycare was basically a preschool program so she wanted him to be able to keep learning and she felt he really thrived being around other kids his age.

Answer by rasbneon at 9:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2008