Beauty pagents...good or bad?

What does putting a little girl in a beauty pagent do for her self esteem aside from crush it when she loses to someone prettier than her? Why do some people do this? Starting them out at a very young age, teaching them that looks are what makes people like you, and gets you prizes. It's also a sideshow for perverts who enjoy looking at little girls who look more grown up than a woman. I understand a parent wanting their daughter to look pretty and feel pretty but to put her in a pagent where she is judged on her looks...c'mon...isn't tv enough? Tv puts enough strain on young girls to be thin and pretty. Looks aren't everything. Guys may like it but eventually good looks do fade and then what do you have left? If she doesn't have a personality to go on, you've just set her up to be let down and disappointed in herself. So I want your opinion on this.

prcd_n_tatd

Asked by prcd_n_tatd at 10:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's shallow and narcissistic. It's a Mom living through her child. It shows you if you don't win, you aren't pretty enough. It opens the door to a load of insecurities. In the USA we put so much emphasis on our appearance and bodies that our children don't know what natural beauty is or that it comes in all shapes and sizes. Europeans and other countries don't do this. There are naked beaches and nudity isn't a sin so kids (boys included) learn to expect what a woman should look like, cellulite, no boobs, big boobs, big hips, little hips, whatever. Our boys reject women if they aren't Angelina Jolie. It's an unrealistic expectation for everyone and very sad.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Wow, that barely qualifies as a question. But I agree with you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• beauty pageants = evil
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Honestly, I've never understood the purpose...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• exactly my point...is there even a VALID purpose? Having a trophy and a crown to say you have the prettiest daughter isn't really a purpose at all. Just means you got lucky you did her makeup right
    prcd_n_tatd

Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 10:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Raising woman to be objects..that's what beuty pagents do.
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 10:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Honestly, it would depend on the pageant. Some aren't based on beauty. We did one when I was a kid, and it was considered a beauty pageant, but it was judged on talent and costume and creativity, and not actual beauty. (since it was defined as an inner beauty pageant). It was a fundraiser we did with our 4-H group that we put together for the local fair. The entrance fee and the donation entrance fee, went to help a local girl with cancer.

Obviously things like this aren't really what your talking about, I just wanted to point out that there are sometimes some that aren't all that evil.

But the majority, I agree with you on. A majority are set up, to judge girls on looks, and I find it petty. I finally sat down and watched an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras, and the one father, I completely agreed with. Most of the mothers are doing it to their children, because of their own sad pasts, thus torturing their children...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• or doing it, because beauty IS all that matters to them. I personally do not agree with those type of pageants. Especially the ones that allow the children to be "fake", while wearing wigs, and make up, etc.

The only good pageants are those based on talent, and inner beauty. I understand wanting your child to grow up with no worries, and to some that mean physical beauty worries. But in all, we should be focused on their health and safety and helping them grow and learn. Not petty things.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i think if its a small one @ your local mall or something that you just put your child in for fun thats ok. but i DO NOT agree with makeup on children. expecially on toddlers in tiaras, i think its so wrong that these mothers tan thier daughters, buy "flippers" if they dont have perfect teeth, put makeup on them & fake hair. its disgusting to me. thats clearly teaching your daughter that she isnt beautiful without these things.
    .Kelly.

Answer by .Kelly. at 10:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with every comment on here. I personally do not get the purpose of it and I think it teaches the little that beauty is everything and if they dont win they are not beautiful. Plus I think it takes the childhood away from the little girl. At 5 years old a little girl does NOT want to wear pounds of makeup, fake teeth, suffocate from hairspray, etc. However I also think there are pageants out there that may be about "inner beauty" as a PP said and not based solely on looks and where the parents arent as extreme as those on Toddlers and Tiaras.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009