@ what age would u/did you give ur child a cell phone?

whats the appropritae age?
any limits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well my daughter got her first cell at the age of 9. Only because she went to a private school and hour away and I wasn't always able to pick her up because I cared for my sick mother. So I needed to be able to get ahold of her to let her know who was coming to get her. But once she got home the phone was put in my dresser. She just got a cell phone for her to keep on her 13th birthday. But it is a Metro PCS Prepaid cell with unlimited talk and text, and web access ($50 monthly). And if she messes up in any way, that is the first thing to go. The phone is to be turned off during homework time and off for the night at 8pm on week nights and 10 pm on weekends, that is when it is placed in my room. If I find out she has it on in school its gone. If I find out she is using it for sexting or any other dirty communication or to bully anyone, its gone. And if I call, she better answer. So far she has been such a good girl...
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 11:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• DH and I havent done it yet, my oldest starts middle school this year and we have finally decided to give him one for emergencies, it can only call certain numbers. I know many of his friends have had them for several years but i saw no reason for him to have one, I think its a little strange for a 7 y/o to have a cell phone. We just felt that middle school was a better age, many more things can happen at school and i would rather he had the cell phone just in case.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i would get them one as soon as its necessary in their lives, as soon as they start doing things sometimes without me with them. probably around 9-11.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My DS got his first cell phone 2years ago(summer). He was 12 and would ride his bike over to friends houses and play basketball at the park. This way he had some freedom but could be found at anytime. His phone still has a kid tracker system on it. I can locate his phone location via the internet. I've never had to use it. He has to pay the 9.99 line fee by doing extra chores. And if he wants a new phone he has to save the money. He's been really responsible with the phone. Which was a huge relief. He knows the phone is a privilage not a right and it can be taken away if abused. I've only had to take phone 2 or 3 times in 2 years. I'm glad we got it for him.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 11:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I will never give my child a cellphone. When they are old enough to to have a job and buy one for themselves and pay for the plan/minutes then they can have a cellphone. UNLESS one of my children absolutely wows me with good grades and outstandingly good adult choices then MAYBE i might buy them a phone and pay for the first month's plan or minutes. But they would be responsible for it after wards.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My oldest is 9 and she has no need for one. She's always with us or someone else that has a phone or near a phone. She'll probably get one when she gets a job and can pay for it herself. I survived 27 years without a cell phone (and still barely ever use it), I think she can make it to 16-18 years.
    I might consider getting 1 phone for the kids to share if they are in after school stuff or when they are driving to be used for emergencies only and would be kept in my room unless being used.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:06 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My 16 and 18 yr old girls had too share a cell phone when they were 12 and 14. Now they have their own pay as you go phone where they have to buy their own minutes.
    I have heard what other parents are paying for their kids' cell phone bills,,,acting like it's an automatic thing to give your kids like a new car on their 16th birthday.
    I'm sorry but I was raised where food,clothes,toiletries and shelter were the only obligation a parent had to provide and the rest was a luxury.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i'll get the girls a prepaid one once they hit 13, they can babysit or mow lawns to pay for more minutes. at 16 if they have handled the pre-paid okay we'll give a contract phone a try as long as they have a job and are helping to pay either their share of the bill or whateverthe cost it will be to get unlimited texts and minutes lol
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my oldest was 16. It was prepaid because at 16 he had a license and a job.(with the job he could affoed to pay for the minutes him self, I did gove him minutes for b-day and Christmas) up until then I was the taxi so I knew where he was and what he was doing
    my youngest is 6 in 10 years I will do the same for him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My girls are 15 and 11 and they both have cell phones. They both are involved in extra cirricular activities and I want to be able to talk to them afterschool and communicate about times and know where they are and what theyre doing. I dont think there is an appropriate age as I feel its up to the parent. We bought one for our oldest when she started the 8th grade and got involved in sports after school. There is no phone to use because the office is closed. I felt she needed one. She has been very responsible with her phone and just this summer, we got her an Iphone as reward for being so responsible with it. She loves it. My child is advanced placement/honors, she works very hard, shes mature, responsible and I felt she deserved it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009