Is being a waitress such a bad job?

There are times I feel embarrassed that I'm only a waitress. Then I think why is that anything to be embarressed about? I mean, I'm my bills and raising my 3 kids by waiting tables. I choose my own schedule and take home cash everyday. So whats the problem? Why do people make it seem like it's such a degrading job? With all the recent layoffs, I 'm sure there are people out there who would love to wait tables just to have some kind of income. Why was it such a bad 'career' move before the economy went under? Now we are the like the only ones still making money. I mean, I just got a house on a waitress' income.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I give you major props!! I tried waitressing three different times and I couldn't handle it. I'm not great when it comes to dealing with rude people!! My sister is a single mom and takes cares of her three daughters being a waitress. There is NOTHING wrong with it. People who make it seem like a degrading job are assholes! LOL
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 11:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• OMG.. i loved being a waitress and would do it forever, BUT the problem is.. what are you going to do when you get too old to wait tables.. it is a hard job and the older you get the harder its going to get, no retirement, no insurance, no good benefits... i made a killing when i waited tables, but i had to think about my future, so i changed careers..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• ive been a waitress since i started working. i dont think its a degrading job at all. its a lot of fun depending on where you work. it can be alot of work too. my favorite waitressing job was being a catering waitress at a golf course & banquet hall for weddings, and partys. i made 12 bucks an hour plus tips and had such a good time. but, thats not enough money for me. thats why im going to college. because i really want alot of money. i dont know how you afford 3 kids and bills and extras if you have any, being a waitress. i guess if you work somewhere really nice, but i never made enough money to just support myself being a waitress.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• how do you make 12 an hour plus tips and that not be enough money for you are you going to school to be a rocket scientist?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• ok chica, I wanna know at what restaurant YOU work, where you make TWELVE dollars an hour plus tips lol... are ya'll hiring? Unless it's just in Texas that all restaurant servers get paid a flat $2.15/hr plus tip.
    p3rdone

Answer by p3rdone at 12:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I love waitressing. I don't HAVE to work, and in fact my dh would prefer that I didn't, but I went back to the restaurant I used to manage and I wait tables on Friday nights. I missed it so much when I started to manage and couldn't go talk to my favorite customers all the time because I was busy "putting out fires" or doing paperwork. I really enjoy it - I have a friend who still works there full time and he's getting a house on waiting tables too. It's not a bad job!

Answer by missanc at 8:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I hated it! Long hours, miserable crabby people and no money. I would work 12 hours and be lucky to walk out of there with $30 in my pocket... And I usually made more than the others because I would take the tables they couldn't handle... And then only $2.83 an hour?!? Nope, sorry, I hated being a server. But if I was making $12 an hour, I think I could figure a way to enjoy it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I used to work at a night club and you could clear $100.00 to $300.00 in tips.At a strip club though they are more genorous.To the stupid woman not all moms are smart enough to be a rocket scientist c'mon anon54 get real are you smokin?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You go girl, I put myself through college with not one cent of debt and bought my first house at 20 while I was waitressing. If you are out there providing for your family, there is nothing to be embarressed about.
    baboosmom

Answer by baboosmom at 2:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009