If you were argueing with your DH or SO and you happened to say "What do you want me to do?".......

as I have heard many people exclaim while arguing! What would you think if their immediate response was "stop breathing"?

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• something said in anger and not meant. Unless he really wants you to die, then leave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I would say "That's not a nice thing to say". They should not say such mean things.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'd be mad. But at the same time, most things that are said in an arguement are not meant. My husband is like that, he says some aweful things, but he knows they are things that will get to me, and that is what his goal is when he is in that state of mind.
    I would probably just walk away. Come back when I am calm, and try to fix whatever it was after we have both had our time to chill.
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 11:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Honestly, I would probably laugh & call him a "drama queen". Were never mad at each other but for a minute or so at a time anyways. If it's a big argument i'm usually crying and that makes him feel so he cheers me up and says sorry. If it's little arguments someone always says something to make the other laugh.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i'd walk away and wait til he calms down. my husband is an arguer who's main goal is to make you feel bad that way he can pull the focus off of him. so he's said some mean things in an anger before then again so have i. if i felt he really felt that way i'd walk away and not come back though.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• wow vabchmommy, you hit the nail on the head there! My SO is exactly that way and I tell him this every time we argue over something he did(which I know probably angers him even more). And I also always admit my faults to him as soon as he points them out because I believe in total honesty. That is when he changes the subject and accuses me of odd things which are not true and I deny them because they are not true, and then it seems to make him feel better to say that I am lying! It is SOOOOOO frustrating!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'd probably have an awkward moment of silence, and then burst out laughing. I know my husband to well to take a comment like that seriously!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• uhhhhh...low blow! I"d be upset of course, but you would have to say it was in the heat of anger, I'm sure he didn't literally mean that! Let it go and just try to get past this arguement. Deal with whatever issue that really started it all, you can't hold this against him, and make it all about that comment. Yeah he shouldn't have said it, and it was wrong.....but it isn't a deal breaker. IMO
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think I might start laughing. Because we don't get into fights too often and if he said that, it would be funny.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well, it has taken me many many many years to learn how to argue constructively and not destructively. And in the heat of the moment, I still have to bite my tongue so I don't so something I will regret later on. My husband however, (we are newlyweds) has not learned this tactic yet so when he is angry he spews crap out of his mouth. Whatever is in his head in the heat of the moment comes out of his mouth. We don't argue very often at all, but we recently had an argument and he said a few really hurtful things. The next morning he did nothing but apologize over and over again and I told him, you just have to learn to stay focused in an argument and not be demeaning. It's a learned trait because by simple reaction, we will say something hurtful to someone else to protect our own feelings. Talk to him, ask him if that's how he really feels or if it was just an angry comment, work it out and try to learn to do better.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 1:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009