Child leash?

I'm going to a crowded town wide yard sale next weekend. Last year my son hated being in the stroller, he was way too hot and uncomfortable. I am going to get a wagon for him this year. He is almost 3. So, I am thinking about getting that monkey backpack 'leash' just in case he gets fidgety and wants out of the wagon. He's pretty good at holding hands, but I'm concerned that in that large of a crowd that he will get away from me. And he's fast! lol. I just wondered what you think of kids on leashes?

Bmanda352

Asked by Bmanda352 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• So if a mom puts a child in a stroller, is that because she "can't control her own child"? What about a sling?

Child harnesses are fine. They are NOT substitutes for not supervising children. They are to make EXTRA SURE a child doesn't get lost in a crowd or dart into the street. And they don't make you a bad mother if you choose to use one. Using a harness at a crowded yard sale sounds like a good plan, and trust me, no one will look at you weird. More people use them than you think!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I personally don't like them but I understand why you are considering one. I haven't seen anyone use those in a while and this lady had one on her daughter in Target. THAT I don't get. I mean, how crowded does Target get?!?
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 11:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i think they are a great way to keep up with your kids.. you will probably get alot of negative answers.. i've seen a similar question on here before, but the ones that say negative things about them are young girls and don't really know what they are talking about.. i have one and we use it all the time.. my son is 2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• well the word "leash" is pretty exaggerated. I like to call them safety connects, and to my son its "mommies safety band." Slide it up your arm instead of holding it in your hand and call it a day!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i am no young girl thank you very much. but i say leashes are for dogs not children!!!!!!!!!!! if you are that concerned about the crowds and the uncomfortable weather ask a friend to babysit. damn people get control of your kids! my son is 3 and i never take him somewhere that requires too much time in one position (besides the dr. office). toddlers are made to run!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I only ever used one once. And that was when DSS and i were in an international airport. Turns out i didnt need it because he was so scared that he stuck by me like glue. BUT it was my security. I dont believe in using them for everyday things, but it sounds like you may have a valid reason.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• call them what you want..... if it looks like a leash, and holds onto something moving... IT'S A LEASH. PERIOD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• This question again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well what would you rather do? Have your wild child on a cute lil leash and keep him safe in your arms length, OR have him run off and potentially not be able to find him and be freaked out and it turn into a big mess? Which mom looks worse, the one who lost her child or the one who kept her child closeby and safe by all means?
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I swear, cafemom needs to make this tops (children's harnesses) a part of their frequently asked questions.

It's up to you. I think they look ok. I've seen moms around my neighborhood using them. Whatever floats your boat. Don't worry about what others think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2009