Will a child at almost 12 months understand a pop on the bottom?

I have been battling with my son for a few months now with staying still for diaper changes. He insists that he can take off and play. Poopy butt and all. He does not listen when I tell him no! sit down! Handing him a favorite toy doesn't work anymore, and neither does singing to him. It has gotten to the point now that I think I should smack his bottom to get him to sit still. I only wonder if he understands why he's getting popped. Is this an appropriate age? This is my first child and I'm not sure if it's too early for this, but I really do feel that there are no other options. I don't believe he's testing me, he's just very playful and active. I just don't know what else to do and he's getting too big for this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ever since dd learned to roll, she's tried to (and been successful many times) to completely roll over while changing her. One time, I caught her just as she was lunging over the edge of the changing table. Ever since then, I strap her in with the buckle attachment on the changing pad. Toys still work for her, but I change it every so often to keep her interest. (I let her choose one of two toys to play with while changing) It's also toys that she never gets to play with anywhere else. I also do the singing and dancing routine to keep her focused and entertained. One last trick I use is to hold her pelvic bone down as soon as she tries to turn and get her focus back with a toy or what not.
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 12:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• he might connect the 2...might not
    dont let him get up, you out weigh him by im sure 100 or so you could easily make him stay still
    and if he has to keep staying still, since he's so active he wont like it and you can tell him let me change your diaper and you can get up..he's testing you

i dont think hitting a 1 year old is acceptable though, hitting means you lost control and that just means you lost control of a 1 year old, what about a year from now or 10 years from now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My DD does the same thing if she's on the floor. I have to just lift her legs up really quick and as soon as the diaper is under her butt I pin her down with my forearm and fasten it...she's tough too!! Shes a year old also...has been doing it for a couple months. Im not against the popping on the butt thing but technically he's not doing anything wrong in his eyes...it's just frustrating for you...If he's associating it with playtime, just let him know that it's not, but poppin his butt might make him think he s doing something bad.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• if you DO choose to spank, reserve it for only truly dangerous situations. Just pin him down during diaper changes...
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• LOs copy people all the time. Even if he understood why he was getting spanked he might not understand that he can't hit others. I'm sorry I don't have any other advise. I agree with the others that maybe you could hold him down and do very quick changes. Have you tried a mobile over the changing table?
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The changing pads with the sides have buckles, buckle him in. Do not spank him! It will only frighten and confuse him, especially if you have never used corporal punishment before. He's not trying to piss you off. He just likes the feeling of being naked and rolling around. DD would do the same thing. I had to try to not get mad, but I was firm but not mean and sometimes I would just have to hold her down.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009