What to do about friend who stole money?

My hubby & I are pretty certain a friend stole some money from us. We dont have many people over but this friend comes over every few weeks to hang out & usually ends up spending the night (he doesnt drive so we pick him up; then we have a few drinks so then nobody drives after that) He borrows money quite frequently from us (always seems to be short for a bill or whatever). We are generous & like to help (he usually pays us back as soon as he is able). Recently though, he hasnt asked for any help & now we are missing money (about $80) Nobody was in our home this past week but us & this friend (well, the kids but they are toddlers) We are deciding what to do. We've known him for about 15 years so its a hard call. My husband is very orderly & wouldnt have misplaced the money so this is the only reason we can come up with for it to be missing. We just feel so sad cause he is such a good friend...What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• He's not a friend much less a good friend if he stole from you. Especially since you would have given it to him if he'd asked. And truth be told you probably wouldn't have made him pay you back if he had said he needed it but could afford to pay you back.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Come right out and ask him! I would do this, although alot of people would probably suggest you trick him or set him up in some way. But I do not like to play games! I would come right out and ask him to his face, because that way you will most likely catch him off guard and if he hesitates to answer or shows signs of being nervous like looking away and not into your eyes than you will know!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'd say that if it's true what your friend did, then he just stole what was left of a good friendship! I wouldn't be asking him over unless you want this to continue!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• if you want him to keep coming.. lock up everything you have..
    or stop him from coming there
    or drop him as a friend. no friends should steal from others.. especially when you're old enough to have a job and money.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with truthteller...you'll be able to see it in his eyes...if he's borrowed from you before then it doesn't seem logical that he would feel the need to steal...seems he's comfortable enough asking..kinda doesn't make sense...
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 1:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2009