Nurses saying no to H1N1 vaccine?

Do you think they know something we don't?

"American health workers are not alone in questioning the value of the swine flu vaccine. In a study to be released today, more than half of health care workers surveyed in Hong Kong said they would refuse to be vaccinated against swine flu because of possible side effects, according to published reports. In Britain, 30 percent of 1,500 nurses in a recent survey were against taking the vaccine."
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_13205147

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• There are possible side effects with everything.
    Give me more then just the HOng Kong nurses then maybe we can talk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I wouldnt get it..... nor will my kids. I think everyone is over reacting...... and then some. Think about it, the "flu" however many forms it takes on, has been around forever and ever.......there have been people dying from flus for as long as its been around. Do you hear about all the people that die every year from complications of the flu? No, not really, but they do, more people die from the "regular" flu than they've calculated for the swine flu.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I did!
    In Britain, 30 percent of 1,500 nurses in a recent survey were against taking the vaccine.

Nationwide, the figure is even worse, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reporting just 42 percent of health care workers taking recommended vaccines. That is in the US.

~OP~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'm in nursing school. I graduate in December. I am also pregnant. I am NOT getting any swine flu vaccines, or even the regular flu vaccine. None of the nurses I've encountered during my clinicals are planning to get the vaccine. There is a lot of talk about it around the hospitals but for the most part many just feel it is way over hyped. Health care workers tend to have a pretty strong immune system anyway. I'm not getting it because I don't feel it's anything to worry about and I don't intend to be a ginuea pig for the gov't. I have only had the regular flu once, and that was 2 weeks after I got my one and only flu shot! I'll stick with good hand washing and proper nutrition!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:40 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• more than half of health care workers surveyed in Hong Kong

ROFL nurses in Hong Kong! I can't speak for all nurses, but I know the nurses I work with are planning on getting vaccinated. It's a personal choice.
    mnt2 b mommy It shows you havent take care of many critical patients especially those with H1N1 for have multi organ failure.

I don't intend to be a ginuea pig for the gov'
    Your statement shows you have NO experience!
    Working in NY, with many cases of H1N1, my coworker who were pregnant, exposed before the patient was diagnosed, had the worry of taking tamiflu during their pregnancy a class C drug.

Being a nurse, caring for those who H1N1,or any infectious disease has nothing to do with the government. I take my job seriously. However, I take the precautions necessary to keep myself and my family safe.

Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 6:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I work in the medical field and the doctors and nurses I work with are encouraging people to get the N1H1 vaccination. We, like every other hospital and major medical setting, have a N1H1 plan. In several counties over from us the hospital is already seen dozens of N1H1 cases. In one county over the first official case of N1H1 has been confirmed. Someone posted that just keep your babies and old people away from sick people. Well, that's nice. But when you as the parent work with sick people that is a little hard to do. And you don't want every single doctor and nurse to stay home who has children.....you would be up shit creek for a number of reasons not even related to flu if your family had an emergency. It is just not realistic to say things like that. My son has very bad asthma and other health issues. My spouse is diabetic. We all plan to get vaccinated for very good reasons.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:30 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I dont believe OP is a Nurse.
    If she were, she would know how important it is to be vaccinated.

Of course, there are all types of nurses. If you work in the ER , critical care even school nurses protecting yourself is very important.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 6:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• In state of Alaska it is mandatory for all nurses to get vaccinated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• OP suddenly you care about other countries ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2009