I need quik answers for this...my 4 yr old is still awake and keeps saying he is hungry and I keep saying

Have some fruit, some applesauce, he says he wants a chewy bar or cookies. I tell him no, he needs to go to sleep....my thinking is he's just buying time to keep himself awake a little longer.
I also feel if he is truely hungry he will eat something healthy, not junk! heck we are all willing to eat cookies even though we aren't hungry! lol
So what should I do give in and then make him go to bed or just stick to my guns and keep saying "goodnight"

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think a chewy bar WILL hurt. Unless you also plan on having him brush his teeth all over again.

in all honesty i would not feed him anything. my boys know that they have to eat their dinner. If they eat all their dinner and are still hungry i feed them more. But once they get up from their seat they dont get any more food. Healthy choices isnt JUST about WHAT you feed them. It's also about WHEN you feed them. The habits they get into now will be 100X harder to break as an adult.
    And we all know that eating right before bed as a habit is NOT healthy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• stick with what you're doing or say you ate them all...lol jk
    but then he wouldnt ask anymore
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• if hes that hungry he will eat whats offered.. otherwise he can wait until tomorrow
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If you give in now he will know anytime he says he's hungry or whatever enough you will give in. Bad thing to be starting.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• if he is hungry then he will eat what you offer. my kids do this to stay awake. he's playing you.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Stick to your guns about something healthy, but perhaps there is a compromise? Give him a choice between 3 items of your choosing - fruit, milk, applesauce, cheese, bread with PB... Good luck!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 12:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think a chewy bar wont hurt, but if he is really hungry he will eat what you give him, maybe a small bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit will help him!
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 12:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If he will be happy and go to bed after a cookie then that's what he would have if he was my kid. Your kid, your call. It won't kill him either way. I would make sure that he eats at least something though since he is saying that he is hungry.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 12:32 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Thanks for the input! I figured he was playing me to stay awake longer and yeah i agree if he's hungry he will eat some fruit and I have to say no to the milk, it's late and he will wet the bed,lol
    I know a chewy bar won't hurt but he knows I consider it a treat, not something healthy...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2009