How do I get my dog to stop pulling

I am 16 weeks pregnant and my lab mix hadn't started pulling when on the leash until recently and I don't want this to be a habit when I am further along, or when I have the baby. How do I get him to not pull?

kinleejohnson09

Asked by kinleejohnson09 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I had a dog that pulled no matter what I did. I got some advice to get a walking collar so I did and the very 1st time I used it he quit pulling and walked like a dream every time. He would get so excited when he saw me get it out cuz he knew he was going on a walk. Some ppl say they are cruel but they really aren't at all. You could also get some videos of the dog whisperer and see if you can pick up some quick tips that might work for your dog.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 5:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• stop dead in your tracks and do not take another step until he stops pulling! and continue to do this every single time.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I hold the leash in my right hand, going in front of my body and have the other part of the leash in my left hand, dog on left side of me. I have control of him and make him walk next to me. If he starts to put some pressure on the leash I can push back with my left had and he will usually stop and walk correctly. This did not happen overnight, it took several long walks. He got tired of choking, I think and realized that it was much easier to just walk next to mom.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 5:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my dog is kinda small so when he pulls i give it a tug and make shhht sound and he stops pulling. for a bigger dog get like a choke chain, I know there are some that arent actual chains, but the same concept, and put it high on the neck and when he pulls it will feel uncomfortable and he will stop

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-training-article-comparison-of-no-pull-dog-training-aids.html
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I do pretty much the same thing as stretchswife suggested but they also make no pull harnesses that go across their chest so when they pull it puts pressure on their chest and it stops them. Doesn't hurt em at all
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 10:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• the first poster is right. they get anxious and excited. if you stop everytime they pull after awhile they get the hint. it won't happen the first time but i few times on your walks for him to realize that you are serious and that his pulling doesn't help get him there faster but that it doesn't. although you must stay calm and not get frustrated that he does this. sometimes if just stopping doesn't work you could try the lets go the other way a few steps and then turn around everytime. this gets his attention and his mind will change his thoughts. then turn it on again. dogs are pretty smart if directed in the right way. remember before you resume your walking his must be completely calm and relaxed. that is his reward for being calm, to get to move forward. gl
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2009