i'm scared

this has nothing to do with my health. it actually has to do with my dad. for the past few months i have know my dad has lung cancer. he did the cemo, and radiation. he just went into surgery Wednesday to possibly remove the cancer but it has spread and they can't do anything about it. my dad has 6 months to a year to live. 3 years at the most if he does more cemo, but it is HIGHLY unlikely he will do it (what i've heard from my stepmom who has kept me updated about him) cause he would no longer have an immune system and he could get sick by the drop of a hat and die from just a cold. i can't just walk or drive over to see my dad he lives in oregon and i live in wyoming. we are working on finding a way for me to get to oregon as soon as possible. i guess this really isn't a question. i'm just really scared and would like some words of encouragement and maybe a little support. please

bikerchickmommy

Asked by bikerchickmommy at 12:32 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Health

• Please PM me if you would like. I lost my dad in 2007 to illness, so I know what it feels like to be scared and confused and in that place. Would be happy to talk any time.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• go there, be with him, its hard to kind of know when the unthinkable will happen. but just keep your head up and dont let him know youre worried, treat him like you always did, let him know that you dont think of him any differently now than before. and tell him you love him everyday! sorry that probably wasnt helpful but thats what i think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I hope you are able to get there and spend time with your father very soon. I lost my father suddenly when I was 15 and my mother a year later. It was VERY hard and still is at times, especially since I had my son 13 months ago but I believe that they are still with me.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• First of all, we just moved to Los Angeles from Casper last year, because we lost my father in law to lung cancer. We were in Wyoming when he died, and decided we were too far from family. We were only able to see him for one week after he was diagnosed. I will say, that your father's state of mind can help him to live longer than they expect. My father in law was told he had 3-6 months, but he refused to believe he was sick, and made it a year. We actually lost 3 people here in California to lung cancer in a two month period, so we moved back...a little late. I hope you are able to go quickly. My heart is with you, and if you need a shoulder I'm available.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You can get a compassion (half-price) fare from any airline

Answer by rkoloms at 11:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009