Baby's arm getting stick between mattress/crib

I am fed up!!!! I have done everything to make my babys crib safe. I wrap it w/ a babesafe wrap, have a breathing monitor, use only cotton sheets...and now that It is finally set up good for him, my 5 month old is now flipping onto his tummy and getting his hand and sometimes whole arm stuck between the mattress and crib. I believe the mattress is a bit too wide, so one side towards the top has slightly too much space and one side towards the opposite bottom is the same way. Is every crib and mattress going to be this way???? I was told from babies R us that any mattress that I purchase will fit my crib, and now my baby has just started to do this so I am really irritated that they sell combinations that do not work and tell people that they do!!!!! Should I be worried. Its enough for his small arm but He wouldn't be able to get much else down there.

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 12:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hmmmm, I do not know! they are all supposed to be rigorously tested nowadays. How old is the crib?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• brand new! a convertable one , i thought that would be cost efficient but not if i have to buy a new one 5 months later.grrr
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Measure the inside of the crib, then look at mattresses that size - we have a convertable crib, and found one that fits perfectly. I worked for Babies R Us for awhile, and the people who worked in furniture at my store used to say stuff like that to blow people off...It's rediculus. What kind of crib is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well that is annoying, I am going to get my booty to that store bc I know the exact guy that told me I could purchase any mattress and it would work perfectly. I ended up with the most expensive one and the crib was 300 itself. i am trying to figure out what the crib actually is...I did not put it together myself otherwise I wuld have all the paperwork on it, and my sons father purchased the crib so of course he didnt save anything. is there another way to figure it out. It should be somewhere on the crib itself right?
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I've been told that Crib mattresses come in slightly different sizes so it is always a good idea to measure your crib prior to buying the mattress. Since you already bought the mattress maybe there is a way you could fill in the gaps. I imagine you could use a strip of foam mattress pad ducked taped on to the side with the gap covered by the crtib mattress pad and the sheet it might help. Good luck!
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009