Should a 6 year old watch teen shows?

It seems to me that the number and marketing of current teen shows like Hannah Montana, iCarly, and True Jackson are targeting younger populations of kids. I don't remember having many teen shows to watch when I was that age, but recall being in love with or paying great attention to the teens on the different sitcoms of the day. I have some rules about teen shows in my house, but want to hear yours.

chez.vonda

Asked by chez.vonda at 12:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter is 5 and watches the teen shows..like hannah montana (her absolute favourite), zoey 101, life with derek, suite life of zach and cody/suite life on deck, raiven, cory in the house, then she also likes the cartoon ones, like kim possible, recess, phineas and ferb..i dont really care what she watches, as long as there is no bad language, sex, or scary stuff (guns/blood)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Totally, 100% up to the parents. My kids watch them and have since they were 4 or 5 (when they first discovered Hannah Montana thanks to my dad). My 3yo also loves them but she's quite mature for her age.
    Their favorite show is iCarly. I've seen most of the episodes and watch it when they aren't around because I think it's hilarious. It gets my approval. So does Hannah Montana, Zack & Cody, Tru Jackson, Wizards of Waverly Place and Drake & Josh.
    My 3yo also watches all sorts of preschool shows but always wants to know when iCarly is coming on, is totally in love with Carly and HAD to have an iCarly bookbag for preschool (Which we found at Target--she was so happy). I've been trying to find an iCarly shirt for her but they are always sold out of her size.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I limit my son watching 'teen' shows I try to steer him toward shows for his age. But at 6 it is hard most shows are either for preschool or for teen (preteen) so we kind of pick and choose
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My tween is 11 and I allow Hannah Montana, ICarly, and Jonas. I do NOT allow Zoey 101. I simply dont like it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My son is 7 and he watches Suite Life, Unfabulous, and a few others. It does seem more and more shows are gearing toward preschool aged or tween/teen aged. There aren't any shows really targeted for the 5-9 audience it seems.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think that's because that age range is more interest in "growing up" and observing older kids. I took a course on writing children's books and one lesson was about planning your story for your desired age bracket. It suggested if you are writing for kids that were around 8-10 to make the character several years older then the intended reader because kids that age don't want to read about kids their own age, they want to read about older kids and what they are doing (and in extension what the reader will be doing in a few years). I think that probably applies to TV, too. I know my older kids have no interest in what 6-9 year olds are doing, they want to watch 12 year olds and marvel at what they are allowed to do (and, I guess, dream about being that age and being able to do more).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree what you are saying all we had back in our days was cartoons for us and maybe watched I love Lucy or I dreamed of Jeannie or Gilliagan...lol Am I telling my age...LOL

Anyway...My daughter will watch ICarly the most she is not too much into Hannah Montana or True Jackson maybe she is but I see her watching ICarly the most.

We just need to keep a close eye on them...kids these days know too much then what we did...it is scary..

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think those shows ARE written for little kids. They just put older kids in them because, as you said, little guys are fascinated by that age group. What many 'tweens' and teens are watching are shows that are on UHF and cable that feature young adults. Those are waaay worse for teens than tween shows are for kids.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 12:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have a 5 year old girl and I don't let her watch Hannah Montanna or Wizards of Waverly. They don't exemplify the behavior I want my child to be exposed to. There are girls in her school that do watch it and the behavior is modeled at that age, my child picks up on it and then it's downhill from there. I turned on the Disney channel the other night and came face to face with HMontana having a dream about her best friend kissing HM's brother. My daughter wanted to learn about that. I told her it wasn't appropriate and got Mickey Mouse on which she loves.

If I can, I'll keep her a little girl for as long as possible. I will limit how much she watches and what she watches. There is no reason she should watch those shows no and every reason why she shouldn't.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my girls LOVE hannah montana, iCarly, wizards of waverly place - they're pretty good shows.

they're 8, 6 and 3.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009