Nosey 6yr. old

How do I get my almost 7 yr. old to stop being so darn nosey? She has to know everyones business.
The other day my dh were talking about something while standing in the kitchen and she was all the way upstairs, she repeated what I said even though we weren't talking loud.
I have told her as nicely as possible to mind her own business.
I just want to know if anyone else children are like this? and do they grow out of this?

JayRo00

Asked by JayRo00 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes, try and sh, her by saying this is being a pest and get her a interesting hobby. she sounds a little bored perhaps? maybe lesson to learn to sew would ammuse her creative thoughts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• oh no she is definately not bored. she's just nosey. we do plenty activities and always out and about.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Most kids are naturally curious....they want to know what's going on and listen in on things that aren't meant for them to hear. When you want to have a private conversation, tell her dad and mom need to talk privately, and you expect her to sit quietly in another room and watch a movie (hopefully so she can't hear). I also used to explain to my kids that they didn't always want me to listen in on their private conversations with their friends, and you'd appreciate the same respect. Let her know it's rude to listen in on other people's conversations...every time she does it...I just know there was a Brady Bunch episode that covered this, and the Brady parents always had the right parenting solution!! In real life usually we have to keep reinforcing things over and over. Usually they do grow out of it...

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• alot of kids think there more grown nowadays then they are and try to be in grown folks business.you need to tell her straight up to mind her business and stay in her place or eventually shes gonna know too much for her age.some kids are just curious or w.e but they still have to understand that a child should not be involved in adult conversations.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think it is the age. I remember when my oldest was 6 and I have a 6 y.o. at home now. They are curious, which we want them to be so they learn . ...

BUT

still I have learned to have 'private" conversations when he is in bed.

or

with my side of the family we speak pig Latin when we want to say something in front of the kids

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• When I was a kid, I had no one but my rotten brother to play with, so I found out that the adult world was where the power and interesting stuff was. Of course you don't want her to hear things that aren't meant for her ears and it's a social thing, too. Just keep teaching her about the rudeness of being a busybody and do keep your important adult stuff behind closed doors. You might also check out what she's doing in a very inconspicuous way before you sit down to discuss anything sensitive. I wouldn't worry about harmless or mundane things.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Use the alphabet...A B C your way out of this conversaton.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes my 7 yr old is/was nosey with everything and everybody! So i taught her to cross stitch and she loves it so now if she is not doing homework or playing with friends or her sister then she is cross stitching!
    Damali0812

Answer by Damali0812 at 6:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2009