what do you feel when you see a child bossing or shoving or stealing from your child?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• honestly if the kid is being physical with my kid i want to smash their little heads in. would i no, normally i'll sit and wait to see what she does and how she handles herself b/c she has to learn to take care of herself i won't be there in a year or so when she starts school or in 15 years when she goes off to college etc. so i wait it out. other things like taking toys etc...that doesn't bother me as much if the kid is my daughters age or younger, shes 3, b/c that is what they do and have to learn at this age. if its a child of a close close friend i'll take the toy back and tell them they have to ask. if its not a close friend, and its her toy, i take the toy back and take her away from the kid.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh goodness, here he goes again! I'm so sick of having to deal with my kids erratic behaviors, being judged as a bad, careless parent, and being held accountable for everything my child does. Guess I better take the kid home again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I am a pretty stepford-ish soccer momma.... no piercings or tattoos (although i'd LOVE some..) and very, very conformist. (well, at least in public!) but for some reason at the park, an event, etc when a kid I do not know is not good to my kid I get this horrible rage and it kinda scares me. The very 1st time it ever happened my son was approx. 2 and the culprit around 5 ish... he purposly and without reason shoved my son to the ground. my husband had to physically hold me back. I was hysterical, telling the other boy to "bring it" and telling my husband I was gonna "fuck his shit up" etc.... nowadays I try to swiftly remove my kid(s) from situation or encourage them to stand up for themselves and use their words but come to me if it gets really awful.... but I still feel my blood boil when they're being mistreated. What am I *supposed* to be experiencing?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• no no no, anon! u got me all wrong!!! not judging anyone but myself.... and wondering how others cope with the pain of watching your precious angel manhandled by a bully
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Usually it's my daughter doing that, since she's pretty aggressive and bossy. But on the few occaisions it's been the other way around, I'll be honest, my instinct is to roar... literally, at the other child.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I tell the other kid in a firm voice to get oway from my child and leave him alone
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my son usually likes to push around, wich is a big problem, but I always keep an eye on him to make sure he don't hurt others and others don't hurt him.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:55 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Umm, honestly, it doesn't sound like your reaction to that kind of behavior is all that different than the behavior you're trying to protect your kids from....sorry, but you need to get a hold on yourself! A little info also....I have struggled for quite some time with my son who was recently diagnosed ADHD, and he is extremely impulsive. My son pushed down my friends son for no reason, meanwhile I disciplined him and put him in the naughty spot. I come to find out my friend was watchin the whole time. Know what she said? This isn't something you created, your child has something wrong with him. It wasn't until later that he was diagnosed. Understand, some of us mothers have to deal with this type of impulsive behavior from sun up to sun down trying to prevent episodes like this, and I feel HORRIBLE when my kid ever behaves like this. He is now on meds and showing improvement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Ok this reminds me of a story about my ds. My oldest son and I was pregnant with our middle son Danny at the time. We took him to a Halloween festival and they had bikes for lil kids. Zach was 2 at the time and a lil girl wanted to ride the bike Zach was on. She demanded him to get off that bike. Well, my son turned and gave her the evilest stare I ever seen and yelled back at her and said NO. Well the little girl cried and guess she wasn't much of a bully after that. My sons have no problem putting kids back in their place if the kid is being a meanie to them. My sons are blunt and boy I hate to see what happens when they are teens and somone tries to pull a fast one over them. My family has always had a mean streak in them when someone pisses my family off.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 2:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• This is from the same above anon: I just wanted to apologize for misreading your question, that was entirely unintentional...also for badgering you in any way. I guess I'm pretty defensive after all the stuff I've had to deal with whenever I see the way ppl and other kids react to the way mine behaves. You try so hard as a parent to teach good behavior, and in my case it didn't seem like any help would ever come. I hope you can except my apology? I really feel bad for getting that wrong:(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2009