does anyone in here quilt?

I started to learn quilting.Does anyone in CafeMom quilt?

Momoftwo278

Asked by Momoftwo278 at 1:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I actually started with potholders and placemats, they make great gifts, and if you screw up, it's little! Coats and Clark has a book on learning to quilt. It gives you projects starting with the potholders and placemats and working up to a lap quilt. Each project builds on your skills. I'll look for it and give you the title. I also bought a book on teaching kids to quilt that helped me a lot. lol. I'll find that for you too. Eleanor Burns books are great. I like her instructions and the way she lays out the fabric that you need.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I've been a sewer for years, and I finally started quilting a couple years ago, I love it! Just went to the Long Beach International Quilt Festival in July...had a blast......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i have loads of quilt scraps that my MIL gave me now i just need to find time to learn.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I used to. After my mom died I pulled out her sewing machine, found the instructions (so I could learn to thread it) and some quilt scraps she had and made my first quilt. I learned everything from a book she had and trial and error. I gave that first small blanket to my aunt who was having her first grandchild. The 2nd blanket went to my cousin and his wife for the baby. We were pregnant at the same time along with my other cousin's wife and me and her got blankets but my mom died before finishing the 3rd so I HAD to make one for them.
    I was hooked after that. I've made all sorts of quilts. They are all crib sized and usually pretty simple (I don't do fancy quilting). Just squares sewn together and some simple quilting to keep it together.
    It's easier to start small...baby quilt or one for the lap. It's hard to maneuver larger blankets and gets frustrating.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:16 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You bet! We have a whole fantastic group, Quilting Moms!  Click on the "Quilting Moms" link and check  out the group!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009